Waste holding tank vs A/C duct

Aug 21, 2020
Beneteau 323 Lake Lanier
On my BO 323 I had to remove the waste holding tank because it was crushing the duct that ran to the main cabin. I replaced the duct but now I don't know what to do with the holding tank. Has anyone had to deal with this on their 323? Should I relocate the original tank or should I purchase a new, smaller one that doesn't sit on the A/C duct?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Interesting dilemma -A/C or a toilet. My uninformed perspective is that it depends on how big a tank you need between and how often you want to do pump outs. I assume re-routing the A/C duct would be the least compromising solution.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
On my BO 323 I had to remove the waste holding tank because it was crushing the duct that ran to the main cabin. I replaced the duct but now I don't know what to do with the holding tank. Has anyone had to deal with this on their 323? Should I relocate the original tank or should I purchase a new, smaller one that doesn't sit on the A/C duct?
I don't know a thing about your boat, but I do have hvac ducts on our boat and solved a problem in our home attic with flexible duct transitioned to PVC and back again to the flexible pipe. Is it possible to change the part of the duct that's being crushed to schedule 40 PCV of the appropriate size with hose clamps on either side? I assume its also a small area that is impacted. Other 323 owners here must have dealt with this issue. Good luck with the solution. You may not be happy with a smaller holding tank, many of us our trying to figure out how to increase capacity. I assume pump out is expensive and inconvenient on your Lake. BTW beautiful place to sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That sounds like a poorly designed system. I have a 323, but no AC.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd relocate the tank (I'll be happy to help you find a good location for it) unless you're 100% certain you'll never install heat/AC. If you are, just cut out the section of duct the tank is sitting on and let installing AC become the next owner's problem.

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
On my 423 the forward ac duct goes right into the holding tank space as well and appears to crush it but it doesn’t. It does do a bit of compression however the airflow put the vent in forward cabin is good. I replaced all duct work last season. Do you not get air flow?

Greg