Fuse ConFUSion

Jul 7, 2016
Hughes Columbia 8.7 Collingwood
I have a cartridge fuse connection that when the fuse is twisted the connection will disconnect then reconnect if twisted a bit more. I have tried several fuses, including new Blue Sea fuses, but the issue persists. I also have tried filing the brass(?) connections. Any suggestions to fix this issue?
1B567B86-8A67-465D-B9E2-BB6ECAD44884.jpeg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Stationary connector blades riding on the slightly larger diameter glass body of the fuse? Bend blades slightly away from the fuse to get them clear of the glass body?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
It appears that this is not a suitable solution for a boating environment. Replace the entire fixture.
There should not be any interruption of current when rotating the fuse

The fuse itself may be bad. Replace and see if it cures the problem.
Haro

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have a cartridge fuse connection that when the fuse is twisted the connection will disconnect then reconnect if twisted a bit more. I have tried several fuses, including new Blue Sea fuses, but the issue persists. I also have tried filing the brass(?) connections. Any suggestions to fix this issue?View attachment 184037
Are you sure there are no cracks or loose points in the blades, wiring etc?

Pull the wires off and ensure the terminal screws are clean and the crimps on the ends of the wires are solid etc.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Stationary connector blades riding on the slightly larger diameter glass body of the fuse? Bend blades slightly away from the fuse to get them clear of the glass body?
I like that theory. It looks like the blades are individually mounted, not a single unit for the top and bottom, and at least the top part has an oblong mounting hole, so it could be extended further from the bottom. Extending them will help ensure the blades aren’t being held off the metal by the glass.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I use a product called Deoxit D5 that comes in a spray can. Been using it for many years because the can lasts for ever. Good for the fuses and also for things like flashlight battery connections. Just word of caution, is is very penetrating, and I have ruined a bathroom scale and a weather station by getting it into the LCD display, so better apply to a cloth and then to the terminals.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Can you tighten the screw so the fuse holder does not twist? If unable replace the fuse holder.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I noticed that two of the fuses are each supporting two loads. Not good.
Not true. my Benny came like that from the factory. 110v outlets...

EDIT: Yeah, there was one breaker for ALL 7 of the outlets. Actually it worked out okay. It was two sets of 110 outlet- port and stbd outlets. I was able to take one of the wires off and put it onto a new breaker and all is well- and even better! I added an outlet inside the salon table to facilitate making the morning coffee, and not use the outlet right over the stove.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Not true. my Benny came like that from the factory. 110v olutlet and maybe another?
Your right. Most of us have fuse or circuit breaker panels that have more than one load attached to each fuse or breaker. Ideally though, it would be better if each load had its own circuit protection. If there are two loads on one fuse and one of the loads pops the fuse, then you lose the use of the other load. Also the wiring from the fuse to the loads must be sized to work with a fuse that is large enough to carry the current of both the loads.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Your right. Most of us have fuse or circuit breaker panels that have more than one load attached to each fuse or breaker. Ideally though, it would be better if each load had its own circuit protection. If there are two loads on one fuse and one of the loads pops the fuse, then you lose the use of the other load. Also the wiring from the fuse to the loads must be sized to work with a fuse that is large enough to carry the current of both the loads.
Yeah, for example the stereo’s memory wire probably shouldn’t share a fuse with the bilge pump. If it does then a nearby lightning strike that kills the radio will also disable the bilge pump. What builder would do a silly thing like that? (Cough- Beneteau- cough)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Are you sure there are no cracks or loose points in the blades, wiring etc?

Pull the wires off and ensure the terminal screws are clean and the crimps on the ends of the wires are solid etc.
I'd look at this since you already have tried different fuses and cleaning the contacts.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
It looks to me like you have a fuse holder problem rather than a fuse problem. If you just want to resolve the existing problem you have then you can try replacing your custom fuse holder with a single fuse block.
Eaton Bussmann S-8301-1-R Fuse Block,0 To 30A,glass/ceramic,1 Pole .
A course 30 amps is the max fuse you should use in that holder you could also install a .5 amp fuse in it if that's what you wanted to do. You may also want to put in a new multiple fuse block that would handle each of your existing circuits with new connections to avoid this type of problem in the future. On the other hand I also notice that it doesn't appear to be approved wire for your circuits so you might want to look at that also. Just for good measure I would like to add that this may appear to be a short circuit problem and even though it may not be, if you were to get a boat that was about 3 feet longer then I think all those problems will be resolved. YMMV

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Suncatcher We have not heard back from you regarding your query about your fuse issue.

On first look, the system on the boat could be removed and replaced with a clean strong system. You have a 28ft boat that I am guessing you enjoy. Why not just upgrade the electrical fuses to ones that are more stable and easier to manage. In the long run you will be much much happier.

Jul 7, 2016
Hughes Columbia 8.7 Collingwood
Thanks to all for suggestions. I went on to another project on the boat and have yet to get back to the fuse issue. She’s now covered and hibernating so the repair will wait to spring.