New Boat

Mar 20, 2020
Cal 21 Eagle Creek Reservoir
A Norsea 27 would do what you're asking. You would need a substantial tow vehicle and the boat would probably have to be lifted off the trailer to launch it.

If you're just doing coastal sailing and maybe out to the Bahamas, a Seaward 25 or 26RK would work. We've taken our Seaward 25 to the coast of Maine and Rhode Island as well as a couple of the Great Lakes. For either of these Seawards your tow vehicle would have to be able to pull 6000 lbs.
Funny you say that I was just looking at a seaward 24. Obviously everyone's advice has begun to steer me back towards smaller trailer boats! Seems like a pretty solid boat. I haven't been able to find much on the 24 so perhaps I should avoid that particular model and look at the 25 or the 26rk??

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Is this serious advice?
VERY SERIOUS ! In 1991 we launched two in the same week... Our Bristol 32 and 3 days later our son.. He has sailed from 2 weeks of age. Slept well in the bean bag. The following year used a booster seat in the cockpit. The seat employed a seatbelt type strap. Opened the lazarette and laid the unbuckled strap across the opening. Closed the lid and placed the lock hasp to keep it shut. Ran the male end of the strap thru the base of the booster and connected to the female end and tightened it down.... NEVER moved. Then attached a flexible umbrella with a c-clamp base to keep him in the shade...

• Helpful
Mar 20, 2020
Cal 21 Eagle Creek Reservoir
VERY SERIOUS ! In 1991 we launched two in the same week... Our Bristol 32 and 3 days later our son.. He has sailed from 2 weeks of age. Slept well in the bean bag. The following year used a booster seat in the cockpit. The seat employed a seatbelt type strap. Opened the lazarette and laid the unbuckled strap across the opening. Closed the lid and placed the lock hasp to keep it shut. Ran the male end of the strap thru the base of the booster and connected to the female end and tightened it down.... NEVER moved. Then attached a flexible umbrella with a c-clamp base to keep him in the shade...
Awesome! Thank you!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
At some point there is no question that I will want to do transpac from cali to hawaii and I know people have done that on relatively small boats but maybe I should be looking for something that is in a different category?
Hi,

FYI. Regarding your wish to maybe race the Transpac, see below.

3.1 The race is open to monohull and multihull yachts that meet the requirements of the US SER for Ocean races. Because the race is an Ocean race yachts must be completely self-sufficient for ... extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms and prepared to meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside assistance.

3.4.5 All yachts must have a Transpac rating greater than or equal to 0.7090 This is comparable to a Catalina 36 [= PHRF of 150].

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Ah, another quest to find the perfect boat. Can go anywhere, in comfort and safety, virtually hassle free, with minimum crew experience and cost. Oh, if it could it be so.:what: A trailerable that can sail the Virgin Islands--launching from?

Last edited:
  • Ha
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yeah. Sign me up for one of those.
Me too. Being an inland guy, this business of fuel consumption and maintenance of a 1 ton is like a boat payment all by itself, and the bloody thing does not even float.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Is this serious advice?
My first child did the crossing from Hawaii to Tahiti (3k miles) at 3 months on our circumnavigation. We found the best "crib" for her was to use a salon bunk with a lee cloth and netting all the way around. This allowed the child to see us in the cockpit, but be safe below. Obviously, she out grew this, but by then she was a seasoned sailor.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Good point! If serious about racing the Moore 24 can be trailered and has crossed oceans. Don't the the wife will be happy with the accommodations, though.

Hopefully you're realizing that there isn't a boat that will do everything you want very well. You're going to have to rank priorities and make serious compromises. If bringing the family is critical then finding out what the wife will agree to is #1.

1) Family boat.
2) Trailer boat.
3) Ocean crossing boat.
Pick 2.

I know I'm stepping in it here, but if you want a family-friendly trailer boat for extended cruising grounds it's hard to beat a powersailer: MacGregor 26M, 26X, or Hunter 27 Edge. True trailer boats with maximum accommodations and the speed to take advantage of smaller weather windows. Sail for fun when the time and conditions are right. Motor when time is a factor.

My wife really wanted an X or M for the headroom. Those weren't in the budget so I got a classic 26, which is what I preferred for better sailing performance. If it was in the budget I would have compromised and bought the M.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Talking about young children around boats, my slip mate invited his granddaughter and son to come down to the boat for a day of sailing. The granddaughter was all excited as she skipped down the dock to the slip and right off the end into the water. Fortunately, the son, Dad had insisted she wear her life jacket upon getting out of the car. Grandma, always ready, jumped off the boat reached down into the water and grabbed the dolphin wannabe by the vest, yanked her out of the water and ushered onto the boat before she could let out a cry. Down inside the boat a wash off/change of clothes occurred. 5 minutes later the little one was back on deck smiling and ready to sail.

Life jackets and attentive parents/grandparents are the key to young sailor survival.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Another good idea is camp, where 500 yards from us, there are a large number of swimmers, canoes and kayaks happening. Good to see. .

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A Norsea 27 would do what you're asking.
That is just what I was thinking. And they can be ramp launched - with the right ramp, truck and trailer.
Greg Delezynski trailer sails his Norsea 27 all over the place, pretty much what you are describing. If you are seriously considering a comfortable trailer sailor and want to haul it all over the continent, flip through Greg's youtube channel to get an idea of what that life is like. You will find he spends as much time talking about maintenance on the boat, truck and trailer as he does sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
KG. The Transpac rules and regs start out qualifying the boat. I find it interesting when you get to:
Section 8.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
8.1 Yacht and Crew Qualifications
The Transpac Race is a challenging race for very experienced sailors on well-equipped yachts where weather conditions and sea state can be unpredictable. Racing from Los Angeles to Honolulu while enjoying the Eastern Pacific trade winds can result in conditions that range from pleasantly exhilarating to serious tests of seamanship. Crews must be prepared to deal with poor conditions, injuries, and potential equipment failures without the prospect of immediate assistance or rescue. For these reasons TPYC requires that all crews and yachts satisfy the following qualification requirements:
  • 8.1.1 Yacht Race/Passage Qualification
    Each yacht shall have completed a 150-nautical mile or longer sailing race or sailing passage (no motoring) prior to two days before its Transpac Race start.
  • 8.1.2 Crew Seamanship and Passage Making
    Each Owner/Charterer and Navigator must have completed an offshore race or ocean sailing passage as specified by either a) or b) below and submit documentation on the Transpac Offshore Experience Form to that effect.
    1. A) The Owner/Charter and Navigator must have completed a Transpac, Pacific Cup, Newport- Bermuda, Sydney-Hobart, Fastnet or comparable ocean race within the past four years in their respective capacities; or
    2. B) The Owner/Charterer, Navigator, and at least one Watch Captain must have completed a minimum 150 nautical mile sailing race or ocean sailing passage on the yacht they are entering within a year and prior to two days before the yacht’s Transpac Race start. If this event takes place after July 5, 2021 at least 50% of the crew must be on board.
    8.1.3 Crew General Safety Training
    At least 30% of a yacht’s crew including the watch captains shall have attended a US Sailing Sanctioned International Offshore Safety at Sea with Hands-on Training Course or its equivalent.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
KG. The Transpac rules and regs start out qualifying the boat. I find it interesting when you get to:
Section 8.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
8.1 Yacht and Crew Qualifications
The Transpac Race is a challenging race for very experienced sailors on well-equipped yachts where weather conditions and sea state can be unpredictable. Racing from Los Angeles to Honolulu while enjoying the Eastern Pacific trade winds can result in conditions that range from pleasantly exhilarating to serious tests of seamanship. Crews must be prepared to deal with poor conditions, injuries, and potential equipment failures without the prospect of immediate assistance or rescue. For these reasons TPYC requires that all crews and yachts satisfy the following qualification requirements:
  • 8.1.1 Yacht Race/Passage Qualification
    Each yacht shall have completed a 150-nautical mile or longer sailing race or sailing passage (no motoring) prior to two days before its Transpac Race start.
  • 8.1.2 Crew Seamanship and Passage Making
    Each Owner/Charterer and Navigator must have completed an offshore race or ocean sailing passage as specified by either a) or b) below and submit documentation on the Transpac Offshore Experience Form to that effect.
    1. A) The Owner/Charter and Navigator must have completed a Transpac, Pacific Cup, Newport- Bermuda, Sydney-Hobart, Fastnet or comparable ocean race within the past four years in their respective capacities; or
    2. B) The Owner/Charterer, Navigator, and at least one Watch Captain must have completed a minimum 150 nautical mile sailing race or ocean sailing passage on the yacht they are entering within a year and prior to two days before the yacht’s Transpac Race start. If this event takes place after July 5, 2021 at least 50% of the crew must be on board.
  • 8.1.3 Crew General Safety Training
    At least 30% of a yacht’s crew including the watch captains shall have attended a US Sailing Sanctioned International Offshore Safety at Sea with Hands-on Training Course or its equivalent.
Hi John,

Yes. Watching the TP race qualifications evolve over the past 20 yr has been interesting. It's a serious commitment requiring serious preparation for a skipper and crew to enter. It's also expensive, as you might suspect. I have several friends who have done it, some more than once; both as crew for others and as skippers of their own boats. It can be grueling. One SC 70 last year damaged its rudder post and sank, not too far out.

Of course, it's a big event here in the LA/Long Beach area given the race starts off the Palos Verdes peninsula. I've been out to watch the start two or three times since 2013. Some of the TP yachts coming for the race are slipped here at the Long Beach Municipal Marina. Others up in San Pedro at the Cabrillo Way Marina, as of lately. Buying a boat that can even enter is but the first step!!

KG

Last edited: