On or Off

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
I've always left shore power on and batteries charging in the past, even for a long period of time. Of course, the charger regulates and goes on float as necessary. I also leave the DC fridge running typically.

I've had issues with electrolysis in the past that resulted in a broken strut (not fun). I now have a galnavic isolator, and have moved slips since then. The marina tested the water in the new slip and didn't find any electrolysis issue.

My slip neighbor told me yesterday that he turns everything off and hardly ever connects shore power when not using the boat.

My question, which I am sure will generate opinions: do you turn all off/unplug shore power when leaving the boat for a week or more, or do you not? (assuming the fridge is empty :). Is there a good general practice?

Thanks

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Well, I have left the shorepower connected and refrig/freezer running for 30+ years without issues from electrolysis. In my prior location, I went through a zinc every 60-90 days; old docks & boats. In my current marina, where I have been for ten years, and with new docks and generally well-kept boats, every six to twelve months. Clearly (to me) neighboring boats and dock condition have a lot to do with it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very good question of boat practice.

I live on the wild side. I have checked my slip and have not found any evidence of stay current in the water. I have a diver who knows about story current and he has confirmed my tests. I change my zinc about every 6-9 months. I have left the shore power connected to provide heat in the winter to stave off freezing damage. So far I have not had an "accident". Could it happen:yikes:, sure.:what:

I am a bit careful to check the power and wiring maintenance on the boat.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is a matter of personal preference and how you use the boat. I would not turn my home refrigerator Off when I left the house, why would I turn the one in the boat Off? I like to drop into the boat on a whim and have a cold beer. Do not care to have to precool the refrigerator when going on a day sail. I know constant charging is not good for batteries but having them to partially discharge would be worst and there is something to be said for convenience; I will pay the price for what I think will simplify my life even if it may not be the best for the batteries or other replaceable boat components. My refrigerators usually last 10+ years, can't complaint.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I leave our shore power and charger on. We keep the fridge on so the batts need to be kept up. The only problem is when we lose shore power and the fridge drags the batteries down. But only to a certain level. Then the fridge logic shuts it off.
When we leave for our 2 vacation I'll turn the fridge off. The charger is always on.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Thanks all, so far the answers confirm what I have been doing for years, leaving the fridge/freezer, shore power on and letting the charger regulate. I also have a diver coming every six months changing zincs and clean the bottom and no sign of electrolysis.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If the electrical fault causing the electrolysis was on your own boat, then yes, disconnecting would stop it. If it was on the dock or a neighbor's boat, I don't think so.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
My question, which I am sure will generate opinions: do you turn all off/unplug shore power when leaving the boat for a week or more, or do you not? (assuming the fridge is empty :). Is there a good general practice?

Thanks
I leave SP on.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I turn on my shore power in the spring, and turn it off in the fall. Having said that, I unplug my boat when I go sailing. (Try not to forget)
you mean that yellow dock line causes problems if it’s not untied ? LOL

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I keep shore power off and trust solar panels to maintain batteries