Boom Vang question

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
In another thread which I did not want to hijack the following was posted by @rgranger

“This is the one I have on my H26. Very important when sailing down wind to have some tension on the vang. I loosen mine when working to windward.”

2AD1DA79-55A9-48F0-AD6D-8D1B7574DB6C.png

My question is which block do you put nearest to the boom?

I have the controlling block (someone feel free to help me with the nautical terms) at the boom. The problem with this setup is that you have to go forward of the attachment point in order to adjust the Vang.

I originally thought it went the other way, but then, I couldn’t get the line to catch with the hatch closed. I’m shopping for a new Vang that would be similar to the main sheet controls, but thought, maybe I just don’t know how to use this one correctly or have it installed wrong.

Jun 1, 2015
That’s the way I have it, but it’s not a cam cleat, but a jam cleat. There is no way from behind the block that I can find to release it.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Either way.
If it is mounted on the boom end, you need to pull forward away from you to tighten ( a bit of a hassle), but pull back towards you to release. (easy)

If it is mounted on the mast step end you need to pull back toward you to tighten (easy), but pull down towards the deck to release. (on some boats a bit of a hassle)

You can set it up both ways and find which works best for you.

Gary

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The typical install is the adjustment block is the fixed one on the mast. You can then run the line to the cockpit of you want.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but our vang working end passes through a turning block at the mast base, then an organizer and through a sheet stopper in the cockpit where we make all trimming and easing adjustments. No need to leave the cockpit to fuss with this or that.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
In another thread which I did not want to hijack the following was posted by @rgranger

“This is the one I have on my H26. Very important when sailing down wind to have some tension on the vang. I loosen mine when working to windward.”

View attachment 183166

My question is which block do you put nearest to the boom?

I have the controlling block (someone feel free to help me with the nautical terms) at the boom. The problem with this setup is that you have to go forward of the attachment point in order to adjust the Vang.

I originally thought it went the other way, but then, I couldn’t get the line to catch with the hatch closed. I’m shopping for a new Vang that would be similar to the main sheet controls, but thought, maybe I just don’t know how to use this one correctly or have it installed wrong.
Maybe something like this with a different type of cleating mechanism.

17188BC3-08B4-4E08-BA33-67576AC06DBC.jpeg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You don't need to spend any money. That vang with the cam cleat pictured above is expensive and will probably have the same problem I'm going to mention in this thread....

Just turn the vang around and install it with the vee cleat on the forward lower side. You should be able to control the vang from the cockpit that way.... but hold on...here's the problem I hinted at earlier... sometimes there's not enough room to set the line in the cleat because it's too close to the deck... You try to snap the line down and you can't get enough angle for the cleat to bite. Simple solution for that..... attach a foot long pendant between the mast connection and the vang. That'll pull the control end up off the deck so you'll have plenty of operating room. You can make the pendant out of some spare line... or go over to west marine and use their workbench in the hardware department to make a wire pendant with nicro pressed loops on each end.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If it is mounted on the mast step end you need to pull back toward you to tighten (easy), but pull down towards the deck to release. (on some boats a bit of a hassle)
We just step on the line and it pops right out of the cleat. No hassle.

Jun 1, 2015
Different model boat here, but our vang working end passes through a turning block at the mast base, then an organizer and through a sheet stopper in the cockpit where we make all trimming and easing adjustments. No need to leave the cockpit to fuss with this or that.
This is probably where I’m headed as I have “everything” else already routed back.

Jun 1, 2015
We just step on the line and it pops right out of the cleat. No hassle.
If I tried to step on the line it’s about a 5 foot drop.

Jun 1, 2015
We run our vang to the gene track, where do you run yours?
Base of the mast to the boom. No other routing. I should have the mast up in the next couple of weeks, so will take some pics.

The dock where I usually have a slip broke loose over the winter, didn’t get tied back down until July, so I decided it’s get “all” of the projects done this summer and then take it to Florida for the winter.