EEE SAH EEE AHS

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
Still new here and want to do things right...

Soggy is docked at McCotters Marina in Washington, NC which Isaias is currently tracking for Monday night. What extra precautions do we need to take? Keel up or down? Do we tie down differently?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
For serious storms i would think that I would haul it out and put it someplace safe. On land away from storm surge a boat would be safer than in the water, where, even if your boat does ok, docks, other boats, etc. can damage it.

That is my theory. I dont live in a place i need to worry so i have no experience.
(We did spend 2 days in sopers hole in the BVIs with the edge of a hurricane hitting the area)

Looking forward to "real" answers

Edit looks like others replied before me.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Good advice here - esp taking that outboard off. You might be OK just lowering is to protect it from striking something in the raised position, and then tilt it up after the storm.

One more thing - most good insurance companies pay 50% of the cost of a short haul for named storms. If you're concerned that's a pretty cheap piece of mind. But I'd do it soon because the marina will soon be pulling boats out like mad and you might missout. Where I'm at on the Chesapeake we're protected enough not to worry about wind, mostly, but the storm surge - now that's another animal. Your photo looks like you're at a floating dock with pretty good range on the pilings, so you might be fine. If it were a non-floating dock I'd recommend pulling it. Once the water comes up over the dock no one will risk their lives to keep adjusting lines.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Soggy....we're nearby in New Bern area at BSC. Our policy is quite simple, if a named hurricane is declared for our county (Craven), ALL boats (~100) MUST be out of the marina. Trailerables pull out and take to higher ground off property, others (up to 46'ers here) anchor out properly, no exceptions. The risk is not only to your boat but to your neighbors as well as the docks. Remove all canvas, sails, bimini, xtra lines, etc., whether you haul out or not. The concern is not only sustained winds but more so the surge. We experienced a 10' surge with Florence.

Fortunately at this hour it's looking more like a tropical storm than a true hurricane. Regardless, be prudent and get the hell outta there if you have a trailer (strap it down to the trailer), put it on the hard otherwise as McCotters has a travel lift. If for some unknown reason you must remain in your slip, double up lines all 4 corners, add extra springlines, add plenty of fenders, remove rudder & motor, strip it, and hope for the best! (and be sure your insurance is current!)

We hauled many boats tday, including our C22, others already anchored out, more today (last chance).
....AND, don't freak out, this is pretty much an annual event, you'll get used to it and this is only the start of the season!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Haul her out, if you can. Even better, would be to sail her to an area that is not under threat. Take it as a sailing adventure.

If you must leave her at the dock, spring lines, double up. Remove the motor, take it home or secure it below. Don't pull your bow and stern lines tight, but do so with your spring lines. Storm surge will swamp a boat that can't move up and down. Treat it like the tidal range is 10 feet. Most of the danger is from storm surge and poorly secured neighboring boats.

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you stay in your slip be aware that longer lines are better than short ones. If allowed use neighboring poles to run extra long lines. People us the image of a spider web to describe the look of the setup. Move your boat out from the dock to avoid damage to bow or stern from the dock itself. Consider using an anchor to hold the boat away from the dock if possible.
But for a 22' centerboard boat I agree that hauling it is best.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
As I do every year from the left coast -- keeping my fingers crossed for everyone and sending good karma.