New to me Edel 665

Jul 19, 2020
Edel 665 Gabriola Island
First post - hello everyone.

Finally got myself my first boat. Was looking to go a bit bigger, but this is the right boat for us right now. Picked up an Edel 665. In amazing shape for her age! Helps to buy from owners who put in the time and money.

I like the pop top and the tent that encloses it - previous owner never used it.

I have some questions for fellow owners:

With regards to the propane locker - what size of tank will fit in there? The one thing I may have wanted instead is an alcohol stove, but the galley is all one piece it would be hard to swap out. I don't mind using propane, just want to make sure my system is safe, up to date, and using the right tank. The locker is an odd size so imagine a 5lb tank or something will work. Do you have to lay the tank on it's side in order to close the locker - then stand it up properly when wanting to use the stove?

There's a long deep storage that runs underneath the cockpit - it's rather cavernous, but the access is somewhat small. What do fellow owners keep under there?

Here's a pic on the hard getting bottom paint.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Congratulations on your new boat. Looks like she will be fun to sail.

Do you have a photo of propane locker and dimensions? And is it a propane locker or CNG?

Jul 19, 2020
Edel 665 Gabriola Island
The locker is somewhat odd shaped. The length is about 12.5", depth about 9.5" and width is 9.25" at the top, tapering towards the bottom. Here's a photo with a fuel bottle for scale.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Before you invest in propane tanks, it appears your set up is not ABYC compliant in a big way. It looks as though the regulator is attached to copper tubing. This is problematic because copper tubing will work harden from the vibration in the boat and possibly leak. The regulator should either be mounted to the locker wall or directly to the tank. There should also be a solenoid to remotely shut off the gas supply. Finally lift the grate at the bottom of the tank, there should be a drain that goes outside of the boat above the water line. This is to drain any leaking propane out of the boat so it doesn't build up and explode.

Here's a link that gives options on how to set up the system.

Jul 19, 2020
Edel 665 Gabriola Island
Yes there is a drain. But I would always manually shut-off the regular before and after use - again, I don't think I could use the tank the when stored as it would likely have to lie on its side. I can see what you mean about replacing the copper tubing. This is very helpful however! I'd honestly prefer an alcohol stove solution. The retrofits outlined in your link is probably too costly to do on this boat. But on the otherhand the galley is all integrated so would be hard to remove the propane burners and swap out alcohol.

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
I would never store a propane tank on it side. By the way this is also the first boat I owned. I was living in Canada and used it to sail Lake Ontario first then moved it to Georgian Bay. After that I moved to Arizona and sailed it on Lake Roosevelt and then to South Catalina and sailed it on Lake Wyle. Was a great boat to learn on and quite easy to single hand.

Jul 19, 2020
Edel 665 Gabriola Island
@sailor832 Thanks for the note. I think short of getting my hands on a little propane tank, I will not know how it will fit. Do you have memory of how yours worked - did you use the propane locker? I think a short 5lb tank may work sitting upright, but I think newer tanks are bit taller.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
don't know what size the locker is, but a 5 pound tank is 8" in diameter and 12" tall.A "standard (BBQ) tank is 12.5 diameter by 18inches tall .

Jul 19, 2020
Edel 665 Gabriola Island
Depending on how fussy this gets, will likely go with 1 litre disposable or refillable bottles.

Jul 19, 2020
Edel 665 Gabriola Island
So I haven't gotten anywhere on my search for a suitable propane tank for this odd-shaped locker. Boat is from the early 1980s, a French design, so who knows what propane tanks looked like back then. Still investigating going with disposable, or 1L refillables and storing them in the locker. In the meantime I bought a nice nesting Trangia alcohol stove I just put on top off the existing burner. And if nice I can take it out into the cockpit or nearest picnic table.