Stern under water

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
I recently acquired a 2000 Hunter 410. The boat had a rub rail with the gray rubber which had been painted and was wearing off. I replaced it with a white rub rail that looks newer which had to be heated to conform to the bends in the hull. I have now noticed that less than 6 inches in the middle of the stern actually is under water. Being in the water, enables the slime algae, dirt, etc. to adhere to the rub rail that is under water. Does anyone know about this?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
All sterns squat when under power if you have a standard shaft, rather than a sail drive.

Clean it and wax it.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
When motoring mostly it is normal for the stern to "squat" and the center of the scoop will be under water. It may even happen when sailing. But at rest the stern should be 1-2" above the water.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I'm with Rich.
Please confirm that the rub rail is above water when the boat is at rest.
Otherwise, a whole different set of issues.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Here is my 1999 H430 Stern Rub Rail at berth.
H430 at berth.png

I have never seen it dip below water even in a sea state of 6 foot seas.
Jim....

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
The stern "rail" being in the water on my 410 isn't usual, and yes it grows slime. Right now I am in brackish less dense water so am sitting a little lower and the very center of the stern rail is fully submerged. Of course it matters some how much weight you have aft and I have my dinghy with 10HP motor on the davits.

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
This issue is noted when it is at the dock. Maybe it was less noticeable when it had the gray rubber than it is now with the white rub rail?

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
When motoring mostly it is normal for the stern to "squat" and the center of the scoop will be under water. It may even happen when sailing. But at rest the stern should be 1-2" above the water.
Rich is right larger model Hunters all seem to squat. Several 420 owners have confirmed their boats do the same. I rinse each trip, clean and wax regularly helps.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 410 Port Washington NY
Our's does the same. We have the yard paint part of the stern rubrail with white bottom paint. Works fairly well, but nothing is perfect.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Yep, my 99 410 squats there also. A lot depends if both aft tanks are full and if my portable generater and outboard are back there as far a height sitting in the slip. Loaded I get the slimy rubrail growing a beard, bugs me a little so I clean it when I see it.