MerSea cleanup

Jul 8, 2013
Hunter , Catalina Hunter 19-2, Catalina 22 Cary, NC and Jordan Lake
Hi all!

I’ve benefited from and enjoyed all the posts and picture sharing that everyone has generously offeredAfter neglecting MerSea for almost two years, we decided to bring it home from the marina and start cleaning and repairing....the list is long!

A little background:
Hull #6554, swing keel, 1976
The boat sits on the trailer, rigged up, in a gravel parking lot not far from the boat ramp. Clogged scuppers have caused flooding in the cabin to the point of the boat tipping back on the trailer. You’ll see the bathtub ring once I post some pics. If I can figure out how...

one of our grandsons (6 yrs old) helped scrub over the weekend. He can’t wait to go sailing, neither can I!

Jul 8, 2013
Here's a few pics.
More coming, as well as some questions and concerns.

Attachments

Jul 8, 2013
The plan is to:
Paint the topside and some of the cabin, including the storage holds.
Replace some of the bulkheads and the dinette table.
Replace the motor mount
Add a fold up ladder
INSTALL COCKPIT SCUPPERS IN THE TRANSOM

In the process of what we've done so far I keep finding, "one more thing..." to be repaired or replaced. In the past when I've gone to the marina to do a few odds and ends the wind would pick up and I would go sailing instead.

Cheers!
Mark

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Just thinking out loud-- might check on the hull in and around your trailer rollers. The C22 hull is relatively thin and subject to some "oil canning", general deflection and point loading. Most trailers utilized the full bunk board to support the hull across a larger / broader surface area. Not necessarily a problem-- but worth a critical eye as you proceed.

Jul 8, 2013
Will, I agree. Our grandson was visiting over the weekend and kept asking if we could work on the boat. He has a lot of experience with boats in general...all with motors. He is fascinated with the idea of being able to sail, "like a pirate!"

I appreciate the observation about the trailer, pclarksurf. I check periodically for any indentations....so far, I guess I've been lucky.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I was trying to upload a photo for comparison sake but apparently it's too large to share. Short answer is no stress if everything appears to be happy. Several folks have a similar setup-- but a bad anything (bunks or rollers) can have deleterious effects. Found an old original pic: note how far back the bunk extends relative to primary Winch ...

IMG_0265.JPG

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
:thumbup::dancing: What a great way to spend time with, and inspire, kids.

I wish my grand parents had been young enough to do that stuff with me.