screw lose

Apr 29, 2020
skimmar seagull Derry NH Big Island Pond
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could use to keep the screw on my halyard from coming lose, it will tighten but the over time it comes lose. thanks for your help.
screw.jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
what is the picture of? i see no halyard.
that said, the screws in the picture can be secured by taking them out, putting epoxy in hole and on screw thread and reset. wait 24hrs. good to go.
yes the screws can be removed in the future if need be. prolly never have to in real usage.
it's what i would do, just my $0.02
PS, use quality epoxy

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
If the image below is representative of your Sea Gull, then the image that you have provided is the tensioning hardware for one of the side shrouds. The screw that’s loose is an integral part of the mast support rigging. I would think that this should be a through bolt that is nutted on the underside of the coaming to a chain plate. As it stands, if that “screw” comes loose you may be in danger of demasting in strong winds.:yikes:

E88F1360-7946-4379-BD24-3F04AB9D56EC.jpeg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
if it is a bolt, not a screw, the tighten the nut on the underside of the deck. can't reach the bolt? cut a access hole in the cockpit coaming, tighten the nut, use thread locker, reseal the cockpit access hole.
fun little project. not hard to do.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Bernie3. Welcome. Congrats on your boat. Should be a fun boat to get out on the water.

See you have a problem screw. It can happen. Like all boats, yours wants the skipper to show it a little lov’n. That’s why the screw is just loose. When they get angry they let the mast fall down.

So now is the time.

The two ideas mentioned are both possible solutions.
Here are some “How to do it” links that may help you figure out a fix that you like.
  1. This link shows a way to fill fiberglass holes as @jon hansen has suggested. You can add to this technique by waxing the screw and inserting the screw into the epoxy while it dries. This then will give you a threaded/tapped epoxy hole.

2. Rebedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape - Marine How To. To stop leaks from occurring through the deck this is the best solution i have discovered. It would use stainless steel bolts not screws with large fender washers or a backing plate on the inside of your boats deck to secure ”shroud” to the deck. @BlowMeAway ’s recommendation.
I have not been real good at making tapped epoxy holes. I lean towards plan 2 the thru bolt with backing method. By the way you can blend the two methods. Plug the hole with epoxy and then drill through the center of the epoxy plug and put a bolt with caulk on it like butyl to seal the water out. A couple of hours maintenance and you’ll have safe sailing the rest of the season.

Pictures of you and the boat are always enjoyed on this forum.

Apr 29, 2020
skimmar seagull Derry NH Big Island Pond
what is the picture of? i see no halyard.
that said, the screws in the picture can be secured by taking them out, putting epoxy in hole and on screw thread and reset. wait 24hrs. good to go.
yes the screws can be removed in the future if need be. prolly never have to in real usage.
it's what i would do, just my $0.02
PS, use quality epoxy
Thank you, I wanted to say stay.

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
If it is screws... I’d change them to nuts and bolts and use a backing plate, if it’s bolts I’d make sure it has a backing plate.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yep. It looks like the fasteners are in tension. If they aren't machine screws with nuts and backing plates, I would expect trouble. Loktite, lock nuts or lock washers should prevent loosening.