Running Rigging Aft...where to start

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
I'm single handing my O'Day 26 and I really need to bring my running rigging aft, but I'm not really sure where to start.

1. Is there a template for calculating the length of line I need?
  2. Is there a template or any others with successful experience that can provide input on hardware location?
  3. Wishful thinking here: think there's a way to do this without un-stepping the mast? I'm in the water right now, it sucks to try to do and I'd rather not wait until the winter.
Any advice on this subject would be great (ie previous discussions, list of 'do's & don'ts' - especially the 'don'ts', etc.).

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and great question!!

1. The following are guidelines for the length of lines:
Halyards
Main halyardMast length x 2.5
Genoa/ Yankee halyardMast length x 2.5 For fractional rig: mast length x 2
Spinnaker/ Gennaker halyardMast length x 2.5
ToppingliftMast length x 2.5 For fractional rig: mast length x 2
Sheets
Main sheetBoom length x (purchase +1)
Genoa sheetBoat length x 1-1.5 depending on genoa size, i.e. 90%, 100%, etc.
Yankee sheetBoat length x 1.5-2
Spinnaker guy / tacklineBoat length x 1.5-2
Spinnaker / Gennaker sheetBoat length x 2-2.5

Control lines
OuthaulBoom length x 2
Boom vangBoom length x 2
CunninghamBoom length x 1
Genoa leadRail length x (purchase +1)
TravellerRail length x (purchase +1)
Spi pole liftMast length x 2
Spi pole downBoat length x 1.5
Reefing lines - reef 1Boom length x 2.5
Reefing lines - reef 2Boom length x 3
Furlerl ine headsailBoat length + length of the foot
PreventerBoat length x 1.5

2. Hardware location - I like line hardware on the cabin top to keep the lines out of the cockpit, except spinnaker winch which I like to mount as far aft as possible on the gunnels.

3. To avoid unstepping the mast to replace lines that go through the mast you can sew a tag line at the end of each line and pull it through, remove the line, measure, purchase new line, sew the new line to the tag line and pull it through, then remove the tag line.

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Thanks you for the quick reply! Looking at the line lengths table, I'm going to assume that this is for non-aft lines. So I'll take that value, then add the distance from mast to cockpit (via desired aft line pathway) and use 2.5x factor for total line length. You can always cut excess off, just don't want too little!

I'll look into the tag line method, I really want to get this done. It is insane that I am running round on deck and yelling at my kids while I'm trying to manage the sails, it just isn't good for teaching them to love the sport nor my own personal stress levels. I've already spec'd out what looks to be a decent spinlock and clutch. The biggest challenge is going to be the tag line, once I have that up and over I'll be much more excited about this.

Thanks again, I'll try to post my process and results for others who find themselves needing to take this task on as well.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You are going too have to turn the lines at the base of the mast. When I led lines aft I my Mac26s I used a mast plate and turning blocks. Then to deck organizers and clutches. The buyer got some good equipment!
My route involves lifting the mast to install the plate. I don't care much for attaching turning blocks on the mast or deck. That's me.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Do you already have a good autopilot installed? I used to single hand that size boat a lot for a decade, and the AP was the most important electronic item on the boat, after the DS.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks you for the quick reply! Looking at the line lengths table................I'll look into the tag line method
You are welcome............for the tag line method purchase a leather palm sewing glove, long needle, waxed thread and tape. Refer to the youtube video on how to do this (for the lines that goes through the mast and boom). Also when cutting the lines recommend an hot electric rope knife.

How to replace a halyard in one step without a smaller diameter tag line:

Palm sewing glove: Amazon.com: Wm. Smith & Son Adjustable Right Handed Sailmaker's Sewing Palm

Hot knife rope cutter: Amazon.com : SeaSense Rope Cutting Gun : Dock Lines And Rope : Sports & Outdoors

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
You are welcome............for the tag line method purchase a leather palm sewing glove, long needle, waxed thread and tape. Refer to the youtube video on how to do this (for the lines that goes through the mast and boom). Also when cutting the lines recommend an hot electric rope knife.

How to replace a halyard in one step without a smaller diameter tag line:

Palm sewing glove: Amazon.com: Wm. Smith & Son Adjustable Right Handed Sailmaker's Sewing Palm

Hot knife rope cutter: Amazon.com : SeaSense Rope Cutting Gun : Dock Lines And Rope : Sports & Outdoors
Thanks, luckily I already have a leather palm, needle, and waxed thread for splicing. I don't yet have a rope knife, I usually wrap painters tape around where I'm going to cut then burn the end of the line while the tape is still on. Any remaining tape after the burn will wear off fairly quickly.

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Do you already have a good autopilot installed? I used to single hand that size boat a lot for a decade, and the AP was the most important electronic item on the boat, after the DS.
Autopilot??? You think I'm rich?!! :)

If I'm quickly grabbing something withing a single step away from the tiller, I'll use just two bungees on the tiller. Otherwise I have (at times) used the simple jib sheet/bungee method but even then its only if conditions are really right and its something that is absolutely required.

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
You are going too have to turn the lines at the base of the mast. When I led lines aft I my Mac26s I used a mast plate and turning blocks. Then to deck organizers and clutches. The buyer got some good equipment!
My route involves lifting the mast to install the plate. I don't care much for attaching turning blocks on the mast or deck. That's me.
This is actually a pretty good call. I'm wondering if I might be able to get this done by designing my own "turning block plate" that can slip between the mast and deck plates, without actually un-stepping...I'd have to take one pin out at a time, and (fingers crossed) hope I can do it quick enough that the mast base wouldn't slip out of place...I suppose on a calm morning. I'll have to weight the risks of this....time to break out the CAD again....

But I absolutely see the benefit of not having the point of stress be on the deck, but rather right under the mast.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I'm single handing my O'Day 26 and I really need to bring my running rigging aft, but I'm not really sure where to start.

1. Is there a template for calculating the length of line I need?
  2. Is there a template or any others with successful experience that can provide input on hardware location?
  3. Wishful thinking here: think there's a way to do this without un-stepping the mast? I'm in the water right now, it sucks to try to do and I'd rather not wait until the winter.
Any advice on this subject would be great (ie previous discussions, list of 'do's & don'ts' - especially the 'don'ts', etc.).
Go to the running rigging calculator in the store on this site and type in your boat information. There will be an option of "cleats at mast" or "cleats in cockpit". And you will get the proper line length for you boat. Here is what I got for an o day 26:
IMG_5034.jpg

When you get to the page shown put in the quantity you want, add it to your cart and buy the line you need.

Really easy and you don't even have to do any math!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Autopilot??? You think I'm rich?!! :)

If I'm quickly grabbing something withing a single step away from the tiller, I'll use just two bungees on the tiller. Otherwise I have (at times) used the simple jib sheet/bungee method but even then its only if conditions are really right and its something that is absolutely required.
Well, you DO own a yacht!
:)
You must sail where you have enough "sea room" to make collisions with shorelines less likely while you deal with running rigging and sails... we boat on a river with lots of run-amok power boats and commercial traffic. :(

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Well, you DO own a yacht!
:)
You must sail where you have enough "sea room" to make collisions with shorelines less likely while you deal with running rigging and sails... we boat on a river with lots of run-amok power boats and commercial traffic. :(
That I do. The boat is in Onset, MA, which is almost on Cape Cod (if it's not over the bridge, it doesn't count!). I primarily sail around Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod Bay, and Nantucket Sound. Plenty of water around. In fact there's more risk that I would wind up in the drink than being involved in an allision which is the striking of a fixed object (collision would be with another vessel). ;-)

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Go to the running rigging calculator in the store on this site and type in your boat information. There will be an option of "cleats at mast" or "cleats in cockpit". And you will get the proper line length for you boat. Here is what I got for an o day 26:View attachment 182128

When you get to the page shown put in the quantity you want, add it to your cart and buy the line you need.

Really easy and you don't even have to do any math!
No math? Where's the fun in that?! I do usually like to do my own work, but this certainly makes it easy. Honestly, finding a good path for the lines appears to be a challenge. The handrails are in a very inconvenient place for even the (2) halyards I have (main & jib). It would be easy to do one on either side, but not efficient or look good. I'm going to have to get there today to make some mock ups with some extra line.

Feb 21, 2013
..........Honestly, finding a good path for the lines appears to be a challenge. The handrails are in a very inconvenient place for even the (2) halyards I have (main & jib)...............
In your last post appears you may need deck hardware for halyards. A rope clutch on the mast or the deck with fixed blocks to route them to the rope clutch for halyards works well. Photos of what hardware you have would help.

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
In your last post appears you may need deck hardware for halyards. A rope clutch on the mast or the deck with fixed blocks to route them to the rope clutch for halyards works well. Photos of what hardware you have would help.
I think I understand what you're saying here...but I'm not 100% clear.

I will only be bringing the main and jib halyard to the cockpit, so I only need enough room to bring two lines on either side. On an O'Day 26, the handrails are right in the middle of the space between the main hatchway and the edge of the cabin top. There is enough room for two lines, but I'm not sure if there is enough room to mount the halyard organizing hardware, so that is what I need to look at.

I'm also seeing some challenges to getting this done without un-stepping the mast. For the obvious reasons, I don't really want to drill holes to mount blocks at the base of the mast. For this season only, I might replace my hinged mast plate pins with equal diameter ss eye bolts. I'm currently CADing this solution up now to better evaluate the stresses this might incur. But again, my sails are not heavy, the only stresses would be cause from bend in the mast when under way....

Lots of thinking on this project...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
No math? Where's the fun in that?! I do usually like to do my own work, but this certainly makes it easy. Honestly, finding a good path for the lines appears to be a challenge. The handrails are in a very inconvenient place for even the (2) halyards I have (main & jib). It would be easy to do one on either side, but not efficient or look good. I'm going to have to get there today to make some mock ups with some extra line.
This is where deck organizers come in. I used them to route around my cabin top so I could still open it.

Feb 21, 2013
The O'Day 26 manual I found on line shows cleats on the mast for your halyards...........is this what you now have AND want to route these to the cockpit? Suggest discussing with Rig Rite or your local chandlery for halyard lead blocks on the mast or deck to route your halyards aft.

1594389009977.png

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know the O'Day 26 but another solution if you want to avoid the deck mounted hardware (A good thing) you can install a mast bail near the base of the mast and attach turning blocks to it. Or attach turning blocks to the mast with an eye. Halyards aren't such a problem because you normally use them twice on a sail. It's the sheets, winch if necessary and mainsheet/traveler that you would want near the helm because they need to be adjusted frequently.

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
The O'Day 26 manual I found on line shows cleats on the mast for your halyards...........is this what you now have AND want to route these to the cockpit? Suggest discussing with Rig Rite or your local chandlery for halyard lead blocks on the mast or deck to route your halyards aft.

View attachment 182136
That's exactly what I have, and that's exactly what I'm trying to move away from. Getting up on deck when I'm single handing it has proven to be enough of a headache.