Refrigerator - Compressor and Evaporator

Sep 24, 2019
Catalina 310 Frisco
Boat team,

I have a 2002 Catalina - that has a 18 year old Adler Barbour - C100, and the fan starts, I get flashing led 3, but the compressor never starts. 40 seconds later, the fan stops for 20 seconds, and the cycle repeats.

If I want to replace the evaporator and compressor, to the newer, Adler Barbour, that has the quick connect fittings, the challenge would be to pull the evaporator and all the copper coil. But where does that coil run? I can’t seem to find it so I can replace it?

Thoughts on 2 options.

A. Replacing the Evaporator and Compressor, and how to do this along with copper coil (that runs from evaporator in fridge box to aft starboard corner to compressor.
B. Other options on what to do?

Thanks much!!
Scooter

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Do you have a C310? I assume by copper coil, you mean the copper tubing that runs from the evaporator to the compressor. It might be easier to leave the old tubing in place, and run the new tubing wherever it is convenient.

Sep 24, 2019
Catalina 310 Frisco
Do you have a C310? I assume by copper coil, you mean the copper tubing that runs from the evaporator to the compressor. It might be easier to leave the old tubing in place, and run the new tubing wherever it is convenient.
Yes, It is a 2002 Catalina 310. Not sure where/how I would run the tube, as it doesn't seem to be obvious where/how the copper tubing is running.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yes, It is a 2002 Catalina 310. Not sure where/how I would run the tube, as it doesn't seem to be obvious where/how the copper tubing is running.
I know what you mean. I have run new cables in that area several times, but I don't recall seeing the tubing. I suspect the original tubing was installed during the factory build, and is buried. It is at times like this we, as boat owners, must get creative.

Sep 24, 2019
Catalina 310 Frisco
I know what you mean. I have run new cables in that area several times, but I don't recall seeing the tubing. I suspect the original tubing was installed during the factory build, and is buried. It is at times like this we, as boat owners, must get creative.
Thanks Tom, any other ideas here?

I don’t think it makes sense to keep the existing evaporator and buy those fitting adapters to the newer Adler Barbour units, because with such an old evaporator, it probably makes sense to yank it and replace it... but would love to know how else one might think about addressing this?

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
When I replace our unit I removed all lines as the tube that they run in will not handle 4 tubes. I also installed a digital controller at the same time.

Sep 24, 2019
Catalina 310 Frisco
THa
When I replace our unit I removed all lines as the tube that they run in will not handle 4 tubes. I also installed a digital controller at the same time.
Thanks Leo, Where exactly do the lines run on your 310?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Would the conduit handle pre-charged lines with fittings? I don't have access anymore to a vacuum pump or charging manifold, so pre-charged components look attractive to me if I ever need to upgrade my system.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
The line run in a conduit all the way back, you can see where it comes out if you follow the lines from the compressor. The problem I had was the first bend, what I had to do was remove the stove and cut hole in the panel to get to the conduit, then cut a hole in the conduit so I could turn the lines around the sharp bend. The main problem was the fittings on the ends were larger than the old lines.

Sep 24, 2019
Catalina 310 Frisco
The line run in a conduit all the way back, you can see where it comes out if you follow the lines from the compressor. The problem I had was the first bend, what I had to do was remove the stove and cut hole in the panel to get to the conduit, then cut a hole in the conduit so I could turn the lines around the sharp bend. The main problem was the fittings on the ends were larger than the old lines.
Thanks!! When you say the fittings were larger, were you replacing evaporator and compressor? How were the fittings on the ends larger?

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Both were larger and would not make the bend with out help after that no problem. The unit I installed is Nova Cool out of Vancouver. Hope this helps

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
I just changed my complete system in April. I'd had an evaporator tube leak from corrosion that I "fixed" about 3 years ago. I had to charge annually. More corrosion and I gave up patching. BTW, I patched the leaks with a product called Red Epoxy, made for refrigeration repairs. It works very well. Plan was to only replace the evaporator and I ordered the replacement. My original manual referred to second generation sealed fittings, so I didn't realize that new system was 3rd generation. After pulling the new evaporator lines, they didn't mate up. Even though the compressor was fine, I ordered a new compressor to match. A-B sells adapter fittings at $235 list, so I went with the ~$900 new compressor.

This was the most difficult boat job I've done, but a helper would have made it much easier. (I'm also missing most of my right thumb, so an extra challenge when only that arm had access). The compressor and connections were clearly installed before the deck. Access was very difficult. I used a USB camera and my laptop to locate and guide removal of the rearmost outboard screw. Once the compressor was free, I was able to reposition to gain better access to the tube connections. Use backup wrenches at all times. Even before I decided to replace, I unwired and pulled out the compressor to improve access to remove and pull the new copper.

I straightened the copper and tied a tracer line. In the fridge, I removed the evaporator fasteners and wall entry sealant and was able, with difficulty, to pull the lines. The evaporator ended up on the forward berth. Installation was the reverse. I shifted the fittings to be in line rather than next to each other and taped them in this orientation before tying the pull line to the forward fitting. Straighten the tubes, push in, pull from rear, repeat, and I managed to get the fittings in position. THEN I discovered the different fitting design generation.

So I ordered and installed the new compressor. New to new fittings eliminated the need to vacuum and charge the system and it is working great.

I cut, pinched and soldered the old fittings so I could seal up the old compressor and vacuum down to preserve it. It worked fine, and while 16 years old, we have short seasons on Lake Erie.

Best of luck, and let me know if any questions.

Ed

Last edited: