Cabin upgrade 23.5 Hunter

Feb 27, 2020
Hunter 23.5 23.5 Harbor Town
I upgraded my Hunter Cabin with waterproof flooring. I used one box of self adhesive flooring, build a frame using foam poster board for ventilation, applied it to the carpet using double sided carpenter tape, and planks already had adhesive. For exact plans and list of products, send an email

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You've done an admirable job of sprucing up your cabin. The work itself snows great attention to detail and craftsmanship.
However, I must ask a few questions.
Have you considered the possibility of the foam de-laminating from the fabric that covers the walls on the hull? I have seen the summer heat causing this over the past 40 years.
You mentioned the foam frame as a method of ventilation. Be aware that the toe rail/hull joint fasteners, along with screws from stanchion mounts, may leak, thus giving water access to the fabric behind the new boards. If that occurs, you will probably get mildew and ultimately rot of the fabric. I hope you will have access to that area over time.
I can see a number of other applications for the flooring you used. Do you recall the brand?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Carpet was added to walls to help prevent moisture on the walls. I am concerned what you have done might cause mildew later behind that cover so be aware.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can now buy something called carpet tile. I am planning on ripping out my old carpet and redo with this tile. But not until I find one more very small (elusive) leak

I’m with Dave on concerns that you will trap water behind and mildew will result

hope I’m wrong

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Normal to worry, some, about deck leaks. Still Better to re-bed your stanchions, cleats, and deck stuff... and stop worrying.
:cool:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Normal to worry, some, about deck leaks. Still Better to re-bed your stanchions, cleats, and deck stuff... and stop worrying.
:cool:
Yep

Did that. I think (I hope) the leak was coming from the little rubber bumper on the companionway hatch slide. I rebedded it a week ago and I'm waiting for a big rain.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Perhaps have a friend turn a hose nozzle on your boat while it's closed up and you wander around the inside with a flashlight and look for moisture? :cool: