Beneteau Cabin floors

Jun 13, 2020
Beneteau 400 Oceanis Vancouver
I sail a 1994 Oceanis 400. The cabin floor is looking a bit worn in a few spots. Definitely could use some fresh varnish. At the joints the colour is worn away. It's a very thin veneer. It looks like the holly strips are just painted black? Anyone have any experience in trying to renew this type of flooring?

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
When we purchased our B411, the ports had been leaking and the accumulated water damaged the floor and the cabinet woodwork. I stripped the floor with chemical stripper and sanded with 320 and 400 grit in an orbital sander. I tried s combination of oxalic acid, chlorine bleach and light sanding to remove the color. I used Minwax cherry stain to add back the color. I spoke to tech service at Helsman about the finish. The label on the varnish says not for floors, but tech service pointed out that the Helmsman varnish is somewhat flexible while the normal floor finishes are harder and probably would not be tolerant of wood swelling due to water. I elected to use the varnish "off label" and very happy with the results. This is a floor that does not get typical floor abuse. There is still a minor shadow of the damage but only noticeable to me. Good luck

Attachments

Jun 13, 2020
I sail a 1994 Oceanis 400. The cabin floor is looking a bit worn in a few spots. Definitely could use some fresh varnish. At the joints the colour is worn away. It's a very thin veneer. It looks like the holly strips are just painted black? Anyone have any experience in trying to renew this type of flooring?
Thanks RitSim. I can see how using the cherry stain would bring back the colour of the floor, but what about the "fake" holly stripes in black? My floors have very similar damage to yours. Thanks.

Jun 13, 2020
Thanks RitSim. I can see how using the cherry stain would bring back the colour of the floor, but what about the "fake" holly stripes in black? My floors have very similar damage to yours. Thanks.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
The strips were no issue. I did find that I could not spot repair - had to strip the whole panel. I used 6 or seven coats with 400 grit wet sand with paint thinner as the liquid. With that thickness of varnish, plan to eliminate any tight spots before you finish.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While most readers will figure out what you are referencing, it does help to use more accurate terminology.
Sounds like you are talking about the cabin sole, rather than the "floors" which are structural members beneath the sole.
This helps with searching these threads, also.

As for refinishing the sole, sometimes the veneer was too thin or damaged and replacement is called for. Teak & holly plywood is available but rather expensive.
(Like, anything is 'cheap' for a boat, in general...) :(
Sometimes, it just looks best to start over with new material. For many owners it's a project with a lot of pride in the finished work.

I have refinished our boats T&H sole, and it sure makes the interior look Really Nice! :)

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I sanded mine then stained with Minwax English chestnut which was an exact match to Beneteaus cherry stain colour , it took me 3 or 4 times to get it perfect . I could always see brush strokes , then re-sanded with steel wool and sprayed polyurethane from a can . I can tell you my floor came out better then factory ,I also made the faceplate at chartplotter table out of solid maple and you can see it is an exact match