Local knowledge appreciated, Sailing from Dana Point to San Diego

Sep 5, 2019
Catalina 320 San Diego
We are purchasing a Catalina 320 in Dana Point and will be relocating her to her new home port on Shelter Island S.D. Since we plan on the trip in June which offers maximum hours of day light, a full 14-15 hours of daylight. I'm thinking about doing the trip in one day. Most everything I'm researching shows a stop in Oceanside and then down to S.D.
Does anyone have local experience in making this trip in one day? Even if we just motor the entire way due to light to no wind, we should make the trip in an easy 11-12 hours. I know we should stay 2-3 miles off shore due to kelp, what other tips and local knowledge should I be aware of. Thanks in advance...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Sure. I made San Diego Shelter Island to Whites Landing, Catalina solo in 14 hours in my Hunter 32. Not a problem. Leave before dawn, maybe 0300 would be my recommendation to give plenty of time to navigate SD Bay. Set your course for just outside of buoy G-3 to avoid kelp but keep a careful watch and don't cut the corner.

Sep 5, 2019
Catalina 320 San Diego
Sure. I made San Diego Shelter Island to Whites Landing, Catalina solo in 14 hours in my Hunter 32. Not a problem. Leave before dawn, maybe 0300 would be my recommendation to give plenty of time to navigate SD Bay. Set your course for just outside of buoy G-3 to avoid kelp but keep a careful watch and don't cut the corner.
thank you Rick.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Post pics please. I've never sailed on the left coast and would love to see more of it.... even if it is vicariously. :thumbup:

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Google Maps shows it as about 65 miles and only a hour. By freeway....
:)

That should be an easy 6 Knot-Plus boat, and more like 7. Hope the bottom is clean. Seriously, 14 hours or less seems do-able. And yup I'd leave before sunup too.
Take some pix and post 'em up. I did a delivery from SD to SF and we were surrounded by hundreds of dolphins at one point. It was wonderful to see!
:cool:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Congratulations on getting your 320. Nice boat. We had friends who owned one, and did some nice sailing with them.:)

Dana Pt to Pt Loma is about 60 n.mi. So, 6 kt SOG is a 10-hr trip there. If you depart DP at morning twilight, which is around 0515, you’ll have about 15 hr of “daylight” to make the trip, but you‘ll need to add another hr or so to clear past Pt Loma and arrive to the Shelter Island yacht basin.

The kelp beds off Pt Loma are thinned out seaward of 100 ft depth. So, I usually run near, but seaward of, the 100 ft (16 fm) isobath when passing by Pt. Loma peninsula, and approaching the channel. This should keep you clear of the attached stems, but there can still be drift kelp around that you will want to avoid. You should post a look-out for it. Most folks are reluctant to merge into the channel shoreward of marker G3 although the locals will do it; but, it is not really necessary to round seaward of G1 before entering. Have fun.

KG

BTW: Going to Oceanside first is a big detour; it’s far off the rhumb line of Dana Pt to Pt Loma. Yes, I’ve made this trip, Long Beach to Pt Loma, a few times myself. Usually go LB to Dana Pt; then Dana Pt to Pt Loma the next day, or the day after that.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019
Catalina 320 San Diego
Congratulations on getting your 320. Nice boat. We had friends who owned one, and did some nice sailing with them.:)

Dana Pt to Pt Loma is about 60 n.mi. So, 6 kt SOG is a 10-hr trip there. If you depart DP at morning twilight, which is around 0515, you’ll have about 15 hr of “daylight” to make the trip, but you‘ll need to add another hr or so to clear past Pt Loma and arrive to the Shelter Island yacht basin.

The kelp beds off Pt Loma are thinned out seaward of 100 ft depth. So, I usually run near, but seaward of, the 100 ft (16 fm) isobath when passing by Pt. Loma peninsula, and approaching the channel. This should keep you clear of the attached stems, but there can still be drift kelp around that you will want to avoid. You should post a look-out for it. Most folks are reluctant to merge into the channel shoreward of marker G3 although the locals will do it; but, it is not really necessary to round seaward G1 before entering. Have fun.

KG

BTW: Going to Oceanside first is a big detour; it’s far off the rhumb line of Dana Pt to Pt Loma. Yes, I’ve made this trip, Long Beach to Pt Loma, a few times myself. Usually go LB to Dana Pt; then Dana Pt to Pt Loma the next day, or the day after that.
Thx for the tips. Much appreciated.