Best epoxy for bonding aluminum or stainless

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
What epoxy is the latest and greatest for bonding aluminum or stainless these days
Thanks

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
That's a tough glue. You can't use mechanical means a bolt or braze with a torch. First guess would be 3m5200 which isn't a epoxy.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What's the specific application? Mechanical connection might be a better choice.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I had an issue with deterioration of aluminum around a ss bolt/stud for my raw water pump. JBWeld didn't do it. Devcon did. I've psted about this before, so a search should find it. Comes in small tubes for $14 or large tubs for $120.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I had an issue with deterioration of aluminum around a ss bolt/stud for my raw water pump. JBWeld didn't do it. Devcon did. I've psted about this before, so a search should find it. Comes in small tubes for $14 or large tubs for $120.
There is a lot of "stuff" which is intended as a paste to coat the mismatched metals which can significantly minimize corrosion. I'd suggest that rather than rely on a non-mechanical connections where there is any strain/stress.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Yes mech connection
Looking for strength want an epoxy not 5200

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Years ago, I had a cracked oil pan on a Ford Ranger repaired. The pan was only $40 but the pan was behind the transmission so $300 in labor to get to it. My guy at the shop, cleaned out the oil pan with acetone and hexane, then filled in the hole and crack with JB weld. Then he tapped the JB for a new plug. He only charged me $40 but I gave him $80 because he saved me so much money. When I sold the Ranger 8 years later, it was still holding.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is a big difference between plugging a hole or crack with epoxy or some other stuff and attaching something that will be stressed. It would be helpful to know what the specific application is, not just metal to metal.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
That 3M Panel Bonding adh looks like what i am looking for might try that stuff

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Yup. West G/Flex. Sand the metal first with 80 grit sandpaper. But aluminum forms an oxide layer very quickly. So sand the aluminum metal right before you apply the glue - or even put a thin layer of G/Flex on and sand it wet so oxygen can't reform any oxide. Then apply a bit more. Note that Gflex needs to dry 12 hours before you load it. GFlex 650 is liquid that you can thicken with any standard thickener like colodia silica. G/Flex 655 comes in a tube and is prethickened. G/Flex also works on most plastics.https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/aluminum-adhesion/ Aluminum Adhesion

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Were it on my boat I'd either use a nut and bolt or bolt and tap into the metal.