Need a durable cockpit cushion material

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have a full set of BottomSiders cockpit cushions and I hate them. They looked cool when we bought the boat, boat's name on them and all. They are too delicate for a cockpit. We paid once already to have a friend's dog cuts repaired . Now they have new holes. :cuss:
I want to have some covers made that can fasten closed. Something we wouldn't be afraid to step on. They would be stored below when we aren't there.
Any preferences to material? The cushions are about 1 1/2" thick. Have some curves.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sunbrella is pretty much the "go-to" fabric for boating use. Your mileage and your wallet may vary, as there are a number of fabrics THAT CAN DO THE JOB. Look online at Sailrite .com for colors/prices/fabrics.

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
Several years ago I made cockpit cushions using Sunbrella and 2 layers of 1 1/2 closed cell foam. The sunbrella has stood very well and the closed cell foam makes another floating throwable. Not USCG approved, but I don‘t think anyone in the water is going to look for the tag before they grab it. The cushions were surprisingly easy to make following directions from Sailrite.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..............I want to have some covers made that can fasten closed. Something we wouldn't be afraid to step on. They would be stored below when we aren't there. Any preferences to material?....................
Ditto Phil Herring......I purchased my cushions from this site at the link below.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Sunbrella on hard closed cell foam are probably the most durable cushions I've seen on a yacht, but they are like sitting on sandpaper blocks.
I just go to the canvas maker directly and pick out what I like.
As a charterboat, with all the sunscreen the customers use, everything we use yellows in short order, so we only get a few seasons out of a set. There are just some places one must bite the bullet if comfort triumphs utility.

• Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I will add the closed cell Sunsure fabric cushions will look and feel new after 10+ years IF you stow them below as you plan to. They are cool to the touch, do not stick to the back of your legs, durable, resists abrasion and easy to hose off and clean. I have had them since 2010 on both of my sailboats. Of course, I respect the opinions and experience of the forum that use sunbrella such as expressed in the thread below. Your choice.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks guys. This is very helpful. We had our cushions below recovered last year. The PO gave us the material they had planned to use. It is an 'interior' Sunbrella. It's a very light color. Would not have been my color choice. The cockpit, I think may be done in navy navy blue to match the bimini and sail cover. The bimini is alway open so it shouldn't get hot . Should hide dirt too .