Centerboard Winch

May 28, 2020
Montgomery 23 MD
Hi Everyone,
I sail a Montgomery 23 out of Rock Hall, MD. I'm trying to simplify the mechanical for raising my centerboard. I found an original equipment centerboard trunk-mounted winch but upon inspection, the teeth on the internal wheel are in less than desirable condition. I'm looking for a replacement. This winch came off a Aquarius 23. Any creative ideas are appreciated, otherwise I have purchased a very expensive paper weight!

Idaailor, now RudderCraft used to sell a replacement wheel, but they are no longer focused on that kind of product.

Maybe someone has one in a box and is willing to part with it?? Doesn't have to be perfect, just looking for better condition...

Cheers!
Theo

Attachments

May 28, 2020
Montgomery 23 MD
The pawl is in solid shape. Looking into a welder or another person recommended Port Townsend Foundry to have a new one cast ($$$)

May 28, 2020
Montgomery 23 MD
Yes, O know about the new 23, I saw the first one years ago in the San Juan Islands. I still prefer the layout of my model but still a nice little boat.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The pawl is in solid shape. Looking into a welder or another person recommended Port Townsend Foundry to have a new one cast ($$$)
Welcome to SBO btw :)

So if the existing material is brass or bronze?? Maybe someone with the right experience could simply add some new material (I think the term is brazing). You or them could then use something like a dremel to reshape the teeth. I guess the first thing to determine is what material it’s made from.
It would be nice to have the original but only if it’s functional:)

I posted the link about the org as I thought it might lead you to someone who has experience with your problem

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Not a difficult fix for a good machine shop, and probably not too expensive.
Otherwise, replace winch with a block and attach a pully system with a cam cleat.