My sons $1 Dollar sailboat, gets a re-fit.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Can't knock cheap boats. At the end of the day, they are sailing while we are fastidiously tweaking our boats. There's a guy in our club with what I would describe as a very visible "skid mark" up the middle of his mainsail. He is enjoying the heck out of his budget sailboat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can't knock cheap boats. At the end of the day, they are sailing while we are fastidiously tweaking our boats. There's a guy in our club with what I would describe as a very visible "skid mark" up the middle of his mainsail. He is enjoying the heck out of his budget sailboat.
Some people just don't get it.
I don't understand how people can get any pleasure out of possessions by using them instead of trying to show them off in showroom condition. Don't they realize that the name of the game is envy? You envy others for the expensive things they own and, in turn, try to instill envy in others by buying things that look expensive. You can't do that if you just own stuff for their fun or utility.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I don't understand how people can get any pleasure out of possessions by using them instead of trying to show them off in showroom condition. Don't they realize that the name of the game is envy? You envy others for the expensive things they own and, in turn, try to instill envy in others by buying things that look expensive. You can't do that if you just own stuff for their fun or utility.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will, I get your tongue was firmly in your cheek but I think many would envy young Tom and his friends on that boat. You don't need money, just a vision ;)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

-Will (Dragonfly)
:) Sarcasm sign goes here.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm working on my boat to get it ready for the earliest launch from my boatyard (in a week). My son took advantage of yesterday's nice weather and spent time under the sun awning on 'NAMO. There 's a lesson for me there.

Things have really changed since this thread started. Here's a few surprises:

From a dead market (all around), a few reports from realtor friends say that more out of state buyers are looking for property in our area. One or two have even sold sight unseen just to get a place 'nailed down'. This may be driven by the pandemic, heat down south, and folks weary of stay at home.

A friend who runs the boatyard in town (where NAMO is kept) says he's never been busier. Boats that don't launch are now going in. Plus he is getting phone calls looking for boats for sale like he's never seen.

My son has decided to relocate back home. He loves Boston but he loves coastal Maine, more. He's working remotely, full time from his firm in Boston. The firm has now decided to continue to work remotely until September. Then who knows? They have an expensive office building that they considering getting rid of. It may not be useful in the future.

It appears something like 60% of corps. now plan to continue working remotely. What? That notion was impossible before the pandemic. People like my son apparently, have shown it can be more productive than meeting around the coffee pot in the office.

We're all taking hits in our area. We've lost a long time summer renter in an apartment in our old house. We've lost a few restaurants as well as a popular Scottish Pub (people packed in like sardines, will that ever happen again?). Lodging is dead.

On the other hand, many businesses are flourishing in our area, such as my local building supply (everybody is working on their homes).

It's all too much to take in and by no means are any trends emerging. He looked pretty comfortable in the $1 boat, nestled between a Hinckley Picnic boat, a $100K daysailer.

That could be his office under the striped awning.

NAMO under awning.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One of the impacts associated with the virus pandemic is the paradigm shift in people management. The Send everyone home edict. Caused, Now figure out how you are going to make a living. Resourceful managers suddenly discovered that their best and brightest still worked while at home. The need to "visually monitor" the staff was suddenly less important. Workers could be monitored by performance. Set a task, give folks a deadline, is very much like school. I places a bit of the responsibility on the worker to figure it out, but that is not all bad. Sometimes innovation occurs. Like an enterprising sailor discovering they can sit on their boat and type code just as easily as they can sit in an office.

It will be interesting to see how these enterprising workers react to the new normals.

I was reading about the issue of New York Income taxing. The law calls it Convenience Tax. Just because you are "not working at the office" does not mean your work is removed from the state tax rolls. Your job is still in the work space of New York so you owe state income tax. At least under current laws. I suspect this too will see an evolvement.

Tom I commend your son for his innovativeness. And all on a $1.00 sail boat. :biggrin:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The $1 boat is getting a work out this season. My sons other boat is a 12' canoe. He's learning to flyfish in his spare time.
TT casting_.jpg

This past weekend he helped me with something on Xmas and then packed the canoe with a couple bags and an enormous cooler. There was a fine South wind blowing and he needed to get across the bay to visit Harry at his summer gig, 12 or so NM's to the east.

I watched him paddle off (he keeps a 2 piece kayak paddle in the canoe), in a a life jacket of course, and made sure he made it.

I reminisced that my first dinghy was a canoe, years ago. Worst tender ever, especially when it came to towing. Oh well, live and learn.

I asked how the sail over was and got a text back: Incredible!

I knew it would be but I had no idea what he did with his canoe? Their Peapod amazingly doesn't tow well and is a huge drag. He made record time for a 26' boat, I noted.

Below: Rafted up to Harry's place of summer employ for an overnight visit. :)

Come to think of it, Seal Bay off Vinalhaven Island would be a wonderful place to canoe and do a little fly fishing.

NAMO TOO ELUSIVE aft.jpg

But how did young Tom get such an incredible reach across the bay towing a canoe? A young man of few words, he sent this instead.

Canoe in NAMO .jpeg

I didn't think of that. These kids are living well.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
2021 is looking like a promising season for the $1 sailboat. She's received copious sanding, quarts of paint, and a lot of sweat equity from the 'kids'.
NAMO on the bridge.jpg

With everything prepped and painted above the toe rail, the 8' cockpit looks ready to sail a bunch of friends around Penobscot Bay.

NAMO floating_.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Looks great! Kudos to your son.
He's got a lot of help this year. His best friend and .50c partner, plus his sister and a few friends have all pitched in. They bought a new (used Bacon) headsail, fixed a few things like the furler and a cockpit lid,...and what not.

NAMO resides in a classic DIY boatyard in town.

Tom Harry NAMO work .JPEG

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
When I looked at your first picture with Namo going down the road, I was like, "How can they run down the road with the mast up?" Then realized that the angle simply made that telephone pole look like it was the mast...

Looking great!

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the update Tom. Great to see that the sailing gene is strong in your family tree.

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
Awesome write up and some fantastic pics. You have a great kid with some great friends. Sure wish more were like him in today's times. Thanks for sharing.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I knew it was only a matter of time before the next $1 boat, finds you. And once you have jobs that pay well, the $1 is a relative number (they needed another 4,999 $1's).

FREYA is a 1967 Pearson Vanguard 33', another Philip Rhodes design. These young guys, having learned to sail on small old boats, can really appreciate the added range a larger old boat affords.

They weren't looking for aft cabins or staterooms, they were taken with full headroom! How about a stand-up galley? A head? Or volume enough to have real storage, not to mention decks to sail.

Near new sails, 2000 hr Yanmar diesel, good deal. Some projects to do but basically, ready to sail.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Does this mean it's time to write the Dear NAMO, letter? No, during this sail a few weeks ago when I took this shot of the kids, they were in negotiations. Our daughter (waving from deck), will be the new owner. She and her new boyfriend are excited about sailing along with the rest of us.

Five seasons later, that $1 has gone a long way.
NAMO 2021crop.jpg