Rolls Batteries

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Looking at these batteries
Anyone experience these?
Double the money to upgrade to agm
the 250 ah agm looks like the one for me just dont want acid and the fumes or should i just suck it up and endure acid and fumes
Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
FWIW, fumes or acid leakage are both consequences of charging problems you shouldn’t have with a functioning charge system.

My bigger lament against Rolls - double the money, not double the lifetime.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Looking at these batteries
Anyone experience these?
Double the money to upgrade to agm
the 250 ah agm looks like the one for me just dont want acid and the fumes or should i just suck it up and endure acid and fumes
Thanks
Ask Rolls where their AGM batteries are made. In my opinion, they are a bit deceptive about this. Their flooded batteries are definitely top notch but cannot be charged "fast". Their AGM is simply re-branded, and while not a bad AGM, there are some excellent AGM batteries out there that you'll find often cost a lot less.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've got to agree with Don S/V on this one. You've got some really big problems to work out before you put in new batteries. Did your present batteries die a premature death?

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
THANKS MAINSAIL
Didnt mean to suggest that i am boiling batts
just wondered if agm is better being sealed

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
THANKS MAINSAIL
Didnt mean to suggest that i am boiling batts
just wondered if agm is better being sealed
The vast majority of boats are still using and shipping from builders using flooded batteries. AGM's are expensive, and unless your charging sources are up to the task, meaning every charge source is programmable for the AGM voltages, and every charge source is also temp compensated, you have an external alternator regulator, etc., the best value is to stick with true deep cycle batteries, such as golf cart batteries.

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/agm-batteries-making-the-choice.124973/#post-770726

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Thanks again Maine
I have installed all the latest in charging including sg200
Think on my first round of batteries will be flooded. That will give me some experience on our boat and its electrical comsumption then move up to agm or the next bestus beyond that