Best Deck Hatch Available

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This is our emergency tiller connection deck hatch. It's an an 8 1/2 inch cut out and 10 9/16 inch total in size.
IMG_20200525_092845671.jpg

We have had ongoing issues with it. A couple years ago the previous hatch cracked. It is directly under foot when at the helm. This time the gasket is leaking after 2 years.

I am thinking about the Armstrong Deck Plate 8. It seems to have some good reviews and I like the design. I'm having a hard time finding detailed dimensions to confirm it would fit.

Any experience with the Armstrong Deck plates to share? Any other recommended plates to look at?

Thanks,

Jesse

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
@JK_Boston_Catalina310 No experience, but was able to find the brochure. It indicates the size of the 8" unit on the 2nd page of the pdf file.

Model DP-8
Outside Dimension
10 Inches
Deck Opening Size
8.75 Inches
I found that one too. The key dimensions I need to confirm is over all depth needed, largest deck thickness it can open to fit and thickness of the top plate. The current plate sits in a recessed area and the preference is to try and be close with the new plate.

Thanks

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Why continue to go with plastic? They make SS and bronze ones, which I doubt you could ever break.
I thought about that and quickly rejected it. This is access to the emergency tiller connection. If the plate were to sieze in place I could be shut out and not able to access. If that were to happen with plastic I could always smash or cut it to get access. Not to mention that a 10" SS plate could be awful hot under bear feet.

Strength isn't necessarily the key concern. Water tight, UV stable and always a way to get access are the important aspects to me in this situation.

Thanks

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I thought about that and quickly rejected it. This is access to the emergency tiller connection. If the plate were to sieze in place I could be shut out and not able to access. If that were to happen with plastic I could always smash or cut it to get access. Not to mention that a 10" SS plate could be awful hot under bear feet.

Strength isn't necessarily the key concern. Water tight, UV stable and always a way to get access are the important aspects to me in this situation.

Thanks
I suggest you look into anti-seize products. Never had the problem you describe above even after 7 years or more untouched, even on SS into aluminum. Really, if you just opened a bronze one once a year without any anti-seize products, you should never have a problem.