Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Oh, we're going to Hawai'i??? Yahoo!

Mele Kelikimaka!

DSC_1273.jpeg

And for Mother's Day.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
This one I’ve shared before - the last sail of last season, a beautiful daysail:
370B9394-5A0E-4DC9-A69B-28ADF06C7EF7.jpeg

The follow-up is the first sail of this season, taken last week:
D1C0B2D3-5A85-49DB-9B76-E61347183FAD.jpeg

The two shots were from within a mile of each other. Looking at them it’s hard to tell, but it feels like they were taken in completely different worlds.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Boat launches (few naturally) are underway in my harbor. Hinckley built their first Pilot 35 a couple years after their Bermuda 40 made it's debut in 1960. Hinckley asked Sparkman and Stevens to simply lift the freeboard of their Pilot 35. That earlier Pilot version was traditional wooden construction and popular in the 50's.

The Pilot debuted in 1963. 107 of them were built over a decade or more. Many Hinckley fans think the Pilot 35 was Hinckley's prettiest boat.

GRACE 2020.jpg

A tiny 35'er by today's standards, the Pilot is ample for sailors with a large cockpit, ample galley for cooking underway, a few good sea berths and plenty of storage. A friend bought this for her young family of 4. It's their second coastal cruiser after more than a decade sailing a Stonehorse 24'.

Maine, the smell of varnish and herring bait is finally in the air.

GRACE 2020 2.jpg

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Hey Phil,
Any idea of the different water colors? Not that I'm planning on anchoring there in this lifetime, but if that light stuff is shallow it looks a bit treacherous.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Hey Phil,
Any idea of the different water colors? Not that I'm planning on anchoring there in this lifetime, but if that light stuff is shallow it looks a bit treacherous.
Al, the light stuff is silt & sand. The channel into the harbor is large and well marked. I was out near the Royal Albatross Center when I took that shot. Here's the satellite image.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.42.51 AM.png

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
What is a Wednesday, anymore, anyway?

I've just been given a launch date for later in the month. That's fine by me.

I've never spent as much time watching the birds and the bees in our lilacs. By looks of the buds, our Peonies should be spectacular. There was no pandemic for nature.

When we moved here there was no porch where I took this shot from last night, just some weeds and burdocks. Time flies.

For sailing; those are some old tow lines I found on CHRISTMAS just after we bought her. They hold an old timber we found on an island out sailing. I drilled 4 holes in the timber, threaded the tow lines through, tied a couple buntline hitches, and turned into a swing big enough for two. Sailing is all around me. I still use the swing.

Gardens 2020 porch_.jpg