merc 9.9 outboard on my 260- help please

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
hi ALL-
splashed my 260 yesterday and did lower and upper gear and oil changes. when i disconnected the battery cables to this electric start motor i unfortunately didnt take any pics. can someone look at my posted pics and give me some direction as to which wires from the rectifier/ regulator (right on pics) and the cables from the bat (left on pics) get hooked up to the piece (dont know name) in the center with the two bolts. appreciate any help!!

Attachments

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I dont have that motor, but in general, the battery will hook up to the start solenoid. The alternator will typically hook up to Pos + on the solenoid and ground -. But on a marine engine the may be just stacked onto the solenoid terminals.

Judging from the limited pic view, Id say the two heavier cables on the left are from the battery and the pair on the right is from the alternator. The two bolts near the pair of cables on the right may very well be the solenoid. Two possible low power "Start" wires are in view (the small green and black wires). But its hard to be certain without getting a good look at the motor. Solenoid is usually on the starter, but may not be. You could test by putting an Ohm meter on those two bolts and clicking on off the start switch with those four big cables OFF as they are now. The battery needs to be hooked up for this. If you get an open-closed circuit in sync with the key, thats your solenoid.

There are a lot of amps going through the battery cables. Make sure you get them in the right place for you and your motor.

symont

Apr 13, 2019
Hunter 260 Montreal, Quebec
Dear @AndyVS,

The small LCD in your engine photo intrigued me. I looked around on the web and found what seem to be an identical Tach / Hour meter at Walmart, for a reasonable price. And the installation seems very simple. In your opinion, is this gizmo durable and precise? The hours counter function is very interesting.

Symont

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I just installed the hour meter last summer. I was curious how many hours I actually run the motor. Very easy install, durable so far and accurate. Nice spot on motor to install gauge with velcro.

Andy

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Yeah I like that hour meter idea so much I bought one from Walmart. Arrived yesterday. Ill be putting that in this weekend. I always wondered how much (or little) I was using the motor per season. Super easy install- just wrap a small wire around the spark plug lead. I wonder how long the battery lasts?