My sons $1 Dollar sailboat, gets a re-fit.

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
I think it has more to do with the ones in the metro areas. Not saying all are but it seems a vast majority In these areas are. I suspect it has more to do with their upbringing than being millennials.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
you say you have heard allot cliches that are neg. is that a maine thing? i'm not hearing these things in my travels here in the mid west.
Mostly online, Jon. A few of the older generation will be cynical about the younger generation. Nothing new. At least as old as baseball. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think this sums it up,

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”
--Socrates

Or this:

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@dlochner - So glad you put in those quotes, I was about to go look up some quotes from the Roman times that were along those same lines.

I work with a lot of young people (not to use the generational term that seems so common today). I find them amazing to work with; smart, dedicated, questioning (as they should be) and ready to go to any length to finish, learn and excel.

dj

p.s. but don't try to bullshit them...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Working on a hard - to - love boat, is drudgery. It helps to treat yourself to a series of rewards - no matter how small - to make it to a finish line.

This is the first time my son has ever seen anything, through these ports.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
years ago i bought an old 69' cal 20 from an old friend. i fixed it up, had new sails made, added some new hardware, put it on a fresh trailer and gave it to my kids so they could sail without their dad. make their own mistakes. they all have been sailing since they were in diapers. all over the great lakes with me, but they needed to try the captain thing without me.
they grew up and left the nest, just like we hoped. the cal 20 has been in a friends pole barn for a few years.
my oldest daughter move to sturgeon bay. bought a house 3 miles down the road from me. on the water. 3 kids now 10, 7, and three, last summer i set up a mooring for her, sailed the cal over and switched the title.
this last week she and the kids got the boat out of storage, did her spring prep (the boat's in great shape, thanks dad) and today had the yard launch and rig it, bend on the sails. then after the yard crew left she and the family sailed out the bridge, down past the shipyard and out to the house with a nice full breeze.
tonight the boat bobs on the float as the sun set over it. freeze warnings for sturge tonight. and so it is.
ready to sail before memorial day is good. do not have to leave the yard to row to the boat. lady captain with kids for crew. her husband sails as well having grown up in st. thomas.
she lets him think he's in charge when he's aboard, i hear.
ain't life fun!

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Why is it, young men make decisions as if this is the last day on Earth (and old men move as if they have all the time in the world)?

Harry painting interior.jpeg

My son working remotely but fully engaged on projects and client calls decided to make Harry half-owner as he's doing more of the work. SKAL is getting quite a bit of paint inside.

I was nonchalantly informed early this week that the boat would launch on Thursday(today!).

I sprung into action and got serious on the sinking by rainfall, problem. Due to the pandemic (our local chandlery is closed for browsing/thinking) I had to use our 2 local hardware and supplies for parts. So I apologize for the lack of marine parts.

Sure enough, all the tiny fittings deck drain parts I cut out were stuffed with grad-doo.

Drains old plumbing stuffed .JPG

Goal: Enlarge the deck drains. First, bigger holes.

Drains new hole in gutter. .JPG

The Achilles heel of my plan was adhering plastic hose barbs to fiberglass. Research showed a few things can help, abrading, heat, but the bonds would be at best mechanical. I did discover that instead of trying to fit a threaded adaptor (as was done at O'day), the actual hose barb end would give more of a mechanical lock because the steps are deeper and they have a 'barb' design that make them difficult to pull out of hose, which would help in my epoxy bond.

My only best choice (at the hardware) was JBL epoxy which touted plastic adhesion. The good thing is this stuff is thick. My custom-cut fittings were a little loose (by design) to hopefully allow a good ring of epoxy bonding to the fresh fiberglass from the new hole and roughing up the old glass for a filet shoulder.

After a day the fittings appear up to the task (but I told the boys, don't kick them!). They shaped into the gutters well enough:

Drain in main gutter.JPG

Most important was to get good, smooth, short, plumbing runs. Plus I eliminated the T fitting where the aft drain originally plumbed in. Yep, this is the best I could do head first into the quarter berths. I know, not proper hose but will suffice for now as these drains are above the waterline. Plus we can monitor to see if they're clogged. No they are easy to snake with a wire.

Drains hose connection stack 2.JPG

For the aft drain, I closed up the 3/8" copper stubs and put new, larger drains aft which is the low spot were rain/spray collect when the boat is on it's lines. Instead of leading these forward to an impossible T connection, I lead the new hose thru a new hole in the bulkhead to the OB compartment. That of course, drains overboard.

Drain aft thru bulkhead. .JPG

I've done my pandemic, best.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
These kids do their best work at night. After work, they cleaned and painted until 11 pm.

I may have mentioned that 5 years ago our Italian speaking son named the $1 boat, 'NAMO. A less formal Andiamo and perhaps Roman slang. But the name never stuck (or got stuck to) to the boat.

Capable Edith to the rescue again. After work, she hand-painted a new name on the stern. Note the time:

'NAMO Rockport Maine 2020.png

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Why is it, young men make decisions as if this is the last day on Earth (and old men move as if they have all the time in the world)?
I don't have the answer, but I believe this to be additional (albeit anecdotal) evidence that Youth is so very wasted on the young.

I'm enjoying this thread Tom. And I posit that someone owes Edith a sixpack of craft beer.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
View attachment 179143

Looking at this pair I’m not sure I believe the story is over! ;)
You have that right!

TT squeezing barbs..jpg

They lucked out and a friend with his mobile crane down in the harbor stepping a mast, fit them in an hour ago. 'NAMO is floating - mast stepped and several of the gang are headed out tomorrow, overnight. Tonight we're getting some heavy rain so a test to see how dry the boat stays.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom it's posts like yours that I enjoy the most. Your pictures and storyline are always what I look forward to on SBO forums.
Cheers:beer:
Thanks a lot! The boat is coming into the docks this am to get loaded up for an overnight. I plan to get some photos and check the leaking after last nights rain.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Wait, that can't be the end! Did it float? Was it leak-free? Pictures or it didn't happen!
We had a good rain last night, the size of rainfall that would have required 100 strokes with the bilge pump. The boys brought her into the dock this am and rigged her to sail.

I'm not bragging,...but she didn't take on any water. Berths and the bottom of cockpit lockers, dry. In fact we didn't even find any obvious deck leaks. And of course the new acrylic windows they installed are tight as a drum so those annoying leaks are history(and they can see out for the first time).

We could only find a leak at one of the main cockpit sole scuppers. Young Tom thinks that was probably leaking before but the boat would take on so much water in a rainstorm, that this obvious leak, was never noticed. That just needs re-bedding and I've checked the seacocks before launching (they work great).

The boat isn't put back together yet below so I'll wait for pics. Besides, Edith has one more surprise to install on the boat.

They're headed out overnight to enjoy their work.

'NAMO rigged 2020.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Exciting times.
I like the peapod for a tender? It should tow well. Hardly even know it was there, so keep an eye on it.

...And I looked up 'namo', great name. Maybe a little unnerving for the dad.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Exciting times.
I like the peapod for a tender? It should tow well. Hardly even know it was there, so keep an eye on it.

...And I looked up 'namo', great name. Maybe a little unnerving for the dad.

-Will (Dragonfly)
The Peapod is Harrys. It is a great little boat but needs work(mostly to fix what,...they fixed).

'NAMO has a few meanings but for young Tom, it's Italian, a slang word, that you'll only hear in Rome. The Italian spoken in Rome is somewhat looked down upon by much of the rest of the country. Like any city, it's unique. They shorten, drop parts.

Annamo/'Nnamo | Come on/let's go

The drawn out 'andiamo' you learned in class becomes 'annamo' or simply ''nnamo' on the streets of the eternal city. Verbs in particular tend to get shortened in Romanesco, often dropping endings: 'andiamo a mangiare' (let's go to get something to eat) becomes 'annamo a magnà', for example.

Because Young Tom learned Roman Italian when he lived there (college), he learned much of the Roman style. He says the above is correct except that in fact, in Rome, Romans drop the other 'n' in writing 'Namo. A Roman would recognize the name immediately where as someone from say Florence Italy, might scowl.

Anyway, it's just a short fast word (as most Italian is) to say, 'come on/let's go'. 'NAMO seems like the perfect boat to fit the name.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
'NAMO is sailing all over Penobscot Bay. My son did some rewiring including adding some LED lights. They bought a new battery and we found a better spot to locate it, mid ships. They added a solar panel. It's so big, I told my son that's a solar generator (it will only be used to top off the battery).

The boat is staying dry so it's getting a lot of use. My son says it's sailing better. :)

'NAMO new solar panel .jpeg

The bay and harbors are empty of boat traffic so they've been sailing in and out of harbors, on and off the public docks and on and off their mooring. The engine hasn't seen but a few minutes run time. If you were on the water, you could have heard Edith's banjo plucking up the bay over the weekend.