Hunter 240 Swing Keel

Apr 26, 2020
Hunter 240 Melbourne
I want to introduce myself to the forum. I am a new sailor (power boater for 30+ years) and purchased my first sailboat a Hunter 240. I put her in the water this weekend and brought her to her new home in a marina but have not sailed her yet. Hoping to this week weather permitting. I came across an article that stated you should never sail with a swing keel partly lowered because it is too dangerous. I looked for information on this and find it conflicting. Where I live in Florida outside of the channel most of the Lagoon is under 5 feet deep so being able to raise it while sailing seems to advantageous. The previous owner stated he use to lower it about half way down most of the time when sailing. Any other 240 owners have some input and how raising it and lowering it will change the performance of sailing. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Howdy. I have a H23.5. A little less ballast, and a little more sail area.

My understanding is that the danger is with heavy weighted "swing keels". We have a fiberglass "swing centerboard" that is really just heavy enough to drop and stay down under its own weight. Sailing our boats with the board partially down is more of an issue with leeway (slipping to leeward), not with stability or damage during a knockdown. That's been my understanding. It likely affects trim, but you should be able to compensate with the sails to have the helm load reasonable. I'm on a 1x7 mile lake, so I don't worry about performance. The quicker I get to the other end of the lake, the sooner I just have to turn around and come back.

I've had mine for 19 years. I sometimes lift it when motoring or sailing downwind. But not always, otherwise my buddy can't keep up in his boat. ;-) I can usually speed up by about 1/2 knot with the boat all the way up.

I lift in in shallow water too. By trial and error, and diving under the boat, I found the partially lowered position where the centerboard is the same depth as my rudder. Might as well have them the same in shallow water, I figure. Then I marked that position on the uphaul at the jam cleat with a permanent marker. I often anchor in very shallow water. I lift it all the way then, and although I try not to, I often hit (soft) bottom with the rudder.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:plus:
what @Rick Macdonald said

boats like the Catalina 22 or macgregor 22 had 600 pound cast iron swing keels that needs to be locked down if you want the boat to stand back up in a knock down. It is also the ballast. Water ballast boats have a dagger Board or swing keel that only serves to keep the boat from slipping sideways when pointing or reaching .... otherwise it is best to raise it for less drag when running with the wind

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Mistabonze
Welcome to the site. First, the advice @Rick Macdonald stated is sound advice. As a dealer way back when, I was instrumental getting the water ballast series started with my first, the 23.5. As stated, the board is designed to keep the boat from slipping sideways. Thru sail control, the max heel is 12-14 degrees. I would suggest that you adhere to that advice. Otherwise you might scare those with you and never sail with you again. If very little experience, suggest getting instructions.

The Catalina 22 has either a deep fin or swing keel. Later it had a wing keel which I introduced at Annapolis. it is a true keel with weight to keep it balanced. There are differences with the water ballast used in a sense as ballast vs. weighted keel. The center of gravity is lowered with a weighted keel, thus the suggestion of 12-14 degree max heel on your boat.

I will be glad to talk with you. Advise in a private message with name and phone number and I will call.

Dave Condon