Thrust requirements

Aug 13, 2018
O’Day 192 Middle River MD.
Recently purchased a 1986 O’Day 192. Would like to use an electric motor, is a 65# thrust motor sufficient?
Thank you.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Where are you using the boat and how far do you plan to motor?

I put a new Tohatsu SailPro 5hp Propane on my 192 last season and like it a lot. I’m on a bay with strong winds and currents, so the 5hp came in handy when it got nasty out. But, even on the worst days I barely used more that 1/2 throttle at most. Majority of my motor time was at about 1/4 throttle.

The guy I bought the boat from did have a trolling motor on it (unsure of the size) but he was just motoring away from the ramp on a quiet smaller inland lake.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I had a 36lbs electric on a similar sized boat. It worked surprisingly well when the water was calm. There's no way it wouldve worked in a headwind. The 4hp I had for that boat worked well. While loud, slow and incredibly annoying, it always got us home even in adverse weather and 4' waves

Sep 29, 2013
Oday O'Day 222, O'Day 19 Casco Bay, Falmouth, ME
I have an O'Day 19, and have used different solutions over the years. I use my 19 on a small lake, and the propulsion is simply to get me back to my dock when the wind dies completely. 2 and 3 hp outboards have been used, but seldom needed. Last year I went electric with a 55 lb thrust electric. The furthest I'd have to go is about 1.5 miles, and my single 12 volt deep cycle battery can handle that. If I were caught in squall, and needed to get back to the dock, the trolling motor would be insufficient, though either of the outboards would have worked fine. Again because I'm primarily looking at getting home when becalmed, and only a short distance, I'm considering a yuloh and may build one for next season.