Old binacle compass info

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
Good afternoon, I have the Chreubini 33 with the YS? Steering system.
Seeing as we are all stuck in the house, does anyone know the dimensions
of the binacle mount . I would like to put a Ritchie Navigator in place but not so
sure of fit?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Click on "Owner Resources" then "General Downloads" then scroll down to "Merriman steering Parts" and click on that..Merriman Yacht Specialties (YS) the mount dimensions are in there..

• Helpful

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Watch out for shift and throttle mechanism interference with the underside of the compass. Compass needs to be raised up significantly to clear. I have the same boat and the internal control levers struck the compensator magnets even with the raised compass mounting ring.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Just happened to come across this thread. I have a 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36. Same YS steering system.

Just a thought here. When you have the compass off, try to inspect the control head piece. Merriman / Yacht Specialties Pedestal Control Head.

If yours is still original and made of plastic like mine is, the plastic is likely to be now quite brittle. The "bolt-to" connection points for the fuel and shift legs (as shown on page 12 of the pdf that kloudie1 referenced in his earlier post), have been known suddenly to fail making it impossible to shift from forward to reverse for example.

I discovered my control head was stress cracked back in 2007 when I had the pedestal off to repair the cockpit sole. I don't know if its possible inspect without taking off the head, but maybe twist things around a bit with some needle-nose pliers and look for stress cracks opening up. Or shift between forward and reverse while looking into it. Torquing the throttle and shift handles off center left/right also might reveal a potential failure point. Maybe a small dentist type mirror might help?

If you do want to replace the head, be prepared for the SS bolts screws to be very difficult to remove! The galvanic corrosion of Stainless Steel vs Aluminum issue.

• Helpful