What the heck is: Loran 797

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
On the aircraft I worked on in the 70's, the RSO in the back seat used celestial nav in the day time to determine course and heading. Any guesses which aircraft?
If the RSO sat in the back seat, it must be some type of small long range bomber.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
C. Plath is a nice bit of kit!
Unfortunately, in my experience, if one isn't doing celestial on a daily basis, it takes some days to get back in the swing of things.
It doesn't sound as if you intend celestial as a back-up for your electronic nav gear, which some do. I sincerely hope those that do never need to.
Yes, in the words of Ridge White, it's one of the best ever made.

You absolutely have to work with them all the time, you have to have your hands and mind in it. There are way too many details to just be casual about it. Plan is to use the GPS during transition to the sextant for a couple days, if needed more, to make sure the hand is back.

But you can't beat GPS. This is really just my personal desire. Sort of like enjoying brain teasers....

dj

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yes, in the words of Ridge White, it's one of the best ever made.

You absolutely have to work with them all the time, you have to have your hands and mind in it. There are way too many details to just be casual about it. Plan is to use the GPS during transition to the sextant for a couple days, if needed more, to make sure the hand is back.

But you can't beat GPS. This is really just my personal desire. Sort of like enjoying brain teasers....

dj
With the introduction of GPS for pleasure craft, my time spent navigating was reduced from 3 to 5 hours a day, or more, to seconds. That's a lot more sleep time.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If the RSO sat in the back seat, it must be some type of small long range bomber.
It was the SR-71, strategic reconnaissance. It typically flew above 85,000 feet, where the stars are visible in the daytime. A small window in the top of the fuselage would allow the aircraft to lock onto stars for navigation. Celestial navigation at it's finest!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You're probably going to appreciate this youtube video:

Enjoy!

dj
I have also enjoyed that story every time I hear it. There was another version back in the day concerning altitude. Pilot after pilot asks center for clearance to a higher altitude, each one higher than the other, right up to the fighter asking for 45,000 feet. Finally the SR-71 pilot, call sign Habu, asks for clearance to 65,000 feet. The frustrated guy at center says, "Habu, if you think you can get to 65,000 feet, go right ahead." The Habu pilot answers, "Roger. Habu out of 85,000 feet, descending to 65,000." There was silence on the radio after that.
Love the stories. Love the airplane.