wiring shoe power connector

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everybody, getting ready to bring Cool Whip to her new marina in about a month, looking at rewiring her and getting a shore power plug, the marina only has 15amps power, should I wire her to accept 30amps and use a 30 to 15 adapter or just wire her for 15amps?

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I would wire your shore power for 30 amps. IIRC, they use the same plug layout you just might have trouble playing the stereo and running the microwave at the same time. Buy a 50 to 30amp adapter if you think you might ever go to another marina.

A friend of mine was moving his boat and the marina we stopped at overnight only had 50 amp plugs. We managed to borrow an adapter for the night.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
30 ampere . Most marinas are that way and if ya go cruising , most transient slips will be 30 amp.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Definitely go 30amp. Look at SmartPlugs if you are rewiring.
And I thought a 20 amp service sucked. :oops:

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
When we have cruised to smaller/older marinas we have found plug-ins for (modern standard) 30 twist lock, 20 amp, and 15 amp. Sometimes with rust on the boxes and some concern over whether our zinc's were at risk!
So we carry adapters for all, and just limit our shore power needs if using the lower amperage sources. Other than occasionally wanting to power up the coils in the water heater, we do not need too much "pass through" power for our boat's 12 volt needs these days. (Modern low-amp draw refrigeration and all-LED lighting has greatly reduced this outside power need.)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
(Modern low-amp draw refrigeration and all-LED lighting has greatly reduced this outside power need.)
That is key. My boat had a huge 100amp Xantrex charger/inverter when I bought it. It worked fine for us when the seller let us stay aboard a coup!e weekends before we bought it. They have a 30 amp service. I spent weeks chasing the tripping service at our dock. I finally went with a modern Sterling charger and our 20 amp service has been solid since.