Got my bottom paint in the mail today...kind of

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My two gallons of bottom paint, on sale at West Marine, arrived via free shipping today. Pretty sure this won’t cover the whole bottom of my Hunter 36.

Yeah, it’s khaki work pants in the box. And nothing else. I didn’t order khaki work pants. Especially size 32.

Hilarious call to West Marine customer service who was great, and they set aside the paint for me at the West Marine closest to the boat so I can paint this weekend. They’re stumped. They don’t even carry Red Kat work pants. Especially not ones that smell like they’ve been soaked in shellac.
FC17704C-E6B4-4EE6-89FD-923D44C5626B.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You're correct a size 32 pants will not cover the bottom of a 36 foot boat, you'd need at least a size 36, perhaps a 38 would be more comfortable.

As for your boat, a gallon of paint will cover the bottom of my 36 foot boat with 1 coat. We usually use blue, not khaki.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Somebody at the WM warehouse is not a happy camper, er, shipper!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You must have orderd at three in the morning and got that insurance company that would do anything for you?

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
You're correct a size 32 pants will not cover the bottom of a 36 foot boat, you'd need at least a size 36, perhaps a 38 would be more comfortable.

As for your boat, a gallon of paint will cover the bottom of my 36 foot boat with 1 coat. We usually use blue, not khaki.
The pants conversation is hilarious... regarding 1 vs 2 gallons of paint (if you ever get it), You're probably right on the cusp. I had a 35' boat that I could do with a single gallon. Now I have a 37' boat (different keel/hull shape obviously) that I can't QUITE coat with a single gallon without really stretching it. Depending on the shape of your keel/hull/rudder you might get away with just one gallon... certainly 2 should be PLENTY. I would advise that you should have a store with a paint shaker mix the bottom paint for you if at all possible. I use the WM CPP paint, and if you have to hand-mix it expect to spend at least 1/2 hour stirring, and have a very sore shoulder or two the next day... It's not like stirring up a bucket of Home Depot interior latex paint...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I can do a coat on our 37’ boat with about 90% of a gallon, though I use a 3/16” roller and stretch it very thin. I use a drill mounted stirrer in a wired drill. I certainly agree you don’t want to be trying to stir it all by hand with a paint stick.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The local West Marine store is a 2 minute drive from the boat, so I let them do the shaking. I'm going to see how far 1 gallon goes, and it may cover the whole bottom. But since its multi-season paint, and I want to go at least two years without repainting (like I did with the current paint which was done by a yard when I first bought the boat), I don't want to stretch it too much and be penny wise and paint foolish.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm wondering about the person who ordered the pants and got 2 gallons of bottom paint. He was probably quite surprised.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.. It's not like stirring up a bucket of Home Depot interior latex paint...
Lay it on it's side, on the floor of the car. It will roll back and forth and slosh around as you drive for a couple of weeks. I dilute the paint as per the label before I even start painting.