Thought on Hunter 45 for newbie.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i agree, solo sailing is not a good idea for a novice. solo sailing should only be tried after the skipper has gained a top level of sailing skills. (say on anything bigger than a laser)

just my $0.02

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC

the navy thinks it's a great size for a starter to train sailors
Jon, you have to take this in context. The midshipman learn to sail on a whole fleet of Colgate 26's their first summer there (Plebe Summer). They have upperclass midshipmen who are the instructors that teach the sailing. They may or may not have any further sail taining. The Navy 44's are used for the Navy Offshore Sailing team as well as a summer training platform for some (not all) rising 3rd Class (Sophomores). Each 44 has an upperclass midshipman (rising senior or 1st Class Midshipman) who is the "Skipper" but there is an older experienced civilian who is also onboard. During the summer they sail from Annapolis to Halifax (or some other equally interesting location) and back for training. The midhsipman who are in training, are not in responsible charge but rather crew members, much as crew members who are in a sailing school would be. This training does not qualify them to skipper a Navy 44 but provides what the Naval Academy sees as valuable ship handling experience. They may also do similar training on a Yard Patrol Craft (powered vessel) My son was both a Colgate 26 instructor and a Skipper on one of the Navy 44s.

May 25, 2012
did not know that about the colgate. you learn something new all the time. good to know.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I cut my teeth on a 37 ft Seidleman sailboat in the Chesapeake Bay for many years. Then Hunter 31, then Hunter 386 and now Hunter 46, which sails exactly like the 386. It is easy to single handle. I welcome all to join my wife and I on a sail in the SF Bay.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Did you start with a 40+ foot boat?
Actually, truth be told, I started many many years ago with a 16' skiff that I equipped with an old canvas sail, wooden spar and boom from my grandmother's woodshed. Sailed her on the Willapa River. That was my first sailing experience. No keel, an oar for a rudder and a homemade boom vang of sorts.

May 25, 2012
i grew up and learned to sail on bigger boats i guess. and my peers around me learned on boats in the 40' range. it's what i know and it worked for me and my friends. it just was.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I cut my teeth on a 37 ft Seidleman sailboat in the Chesapeake Bay for many years. Then Hunter 31, then Hunter 386 and now Hunter 46, which sails exactly like the 386. It is easy to single handle. I welcome all to join my wife and I on a sail in the SF Bay.
Careful what you offer...

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I cut my teeth on a 37 ft Seidleman
7 and a half foot Opti, here.

Then, I lived aboard and helped sail a 56' three masted schooner for 3+ years until we moved off when I was 14. I could all but handle her alone, by then. By "all but", I mean, I never planned a destination nor brought her into an unknown port. Never learned much about the engine other than where the start button was and which way to move the throttle. I never used the VHS. I sure learned how to flake a sail and pull an anchor, though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Actually the Admiral and myself are heading that way in March for a wedding in Santa Rosa, but I am sure that there won't be any time allotted for a sideline adventure but ya never know

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
i agree, solo sailing is not a good idea for a novice. solo sailing should only be tried after the skipper has gained a top level of sailing skills. (say on anything bigger than a laser)

just my $0.02
I agree with almost everything you have said on this thread but not this one. It really depends on the circumstances. Not everyone is sailing in the great lakes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with turning a kids loose in a dingy on a small pond. That is how I learned and yes I flipped the boat a few times. Swam the boat to shore, bailed it out and kept going. I became really skilled at keeping that boat on its feet and I could ride the gunwale and know just how far I could push her. As I got older, I took that same small dingy on several wonderful camping trips up North on larger lakes. When I moved up to larger boats, I was surprised at how EASY they were to control and how forgiving they were of minor trim errors. But my skill with trim was honed on that dinghy.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
We just purchased a 2002 Hunter 386 sailboat in October. We have limited sailing experience, although we did have a powerboat for years. I did not want to purchase a 30', as we figured after a year or two, we'd want to upgrade anyway. We'll be sailing on the Great Lakes, so once we get out of the marina, we'll have lots of room to practice. Sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet. Either way, we'll learn it and be fine.

May 25, 2012
singlehanded sailing in prams and lasers is great for kids of any age. i have a trinka for the little ones to use. tiller, mainsheet.
thats what i tried to imply.
single handing a 30' sailboat with beginner skills i would not recommend.
just my opinion, nothing more

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
singlehanded sailing in prams and lasers is great for kids of any age. i have a trinka for the little ones to use. tiller, mainsheet.
thats what i tried to imply.
just my opinion, nothing more
:thumbup: Agreed!

Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
I think the one suggestion on hiring an on-board instructor is sound one. Close quarter maneuvering is the thing that most people overlook until they have dinged the hull a few times and embarrassed themselves returning to their slip on a busy Sunday afternoon. Ideally, find someone that also give you some guidance on other basic skills and maintenance issues. I can recommend someone if interested.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’m very, very new to sailing. Last fall I completed ASA 101, 103, and 104. I also completed the NaiticEd coursework up to their “Bareboat Charter Master Rank” but am only certified as crew. I must spend 50 days on water then go out with a NauticEd Instructor and demonstrate competency before I receive a higher certification.

OK, I’ll get to point.....I’m looking at a late 2000’s Hunter 45. My plan is to coastal cruise and sail in Chesapeake Bay
Looking at what the OP wrote and accepting him at his word.

It would appear he possess "beginner skills". If a 30ft boat solo is not recommended, then a seasick crew on a 45 foot boat in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay during a squall might be a disaster.

BKWard, unless you are understating your sailing skills and have had experience handling sailboats 25-35 feet in length under good conditions and not so good conditions, you may find that the 45 foot dream boat in bad conditions will be a nightmare you might want to avoid.

It is not about handling the boat when the sun is shining and everyone is helping and enjoying your boat. It is about being the only person not puking out their guts, with eyes the size of half dollars, looking at the 15 to 20 foot waves crashing over the boat and then looking at you with fear for their lives and expecting you to save them. Are you ready to take on that responsibility on a 45 ft boat.

A lot of boat buyers never think about that issue. Many never get their boat outside of the marina unless the breezes are gentle and the sky is blue.

Building your skills beyond the safety of a qualified instructor in your own boat can, in my opinion, be more safely accomplished on a boat that you can do all of the jobs (solo sailing) in nearly any kind of weather. Or hire a captain with said experience to take you sailing.

Another though or way to look at this,
  • buy the smaller boat (ie 30 foot) and go out and sail it.
  • Build your skills in boat handling and ownership.
  • Sell the boat and buy your 45 dream boat
  • Look at and boat price costs as the cost of self education and experience building.
I think you may find this approach less expensive than paying the bucks for the classes and certifications.

If you want a "specific skill" then hire a friend or instructor to help with that skill on a boat you understand, know, and can practice on for weeks or months after the lesson. You may find a friend that will share the skills for a good drink and a fun time together. You can not always buy an instructor for that price.