Mooring Ball replacement?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
How often to you replace your mooring ball?
What manufacturer do you use and have you found any that last longer than other?
Do you wait for it to fail or replace on a regular schedule?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
When it starting to look worn. Failure is not an option if you like your glasswork to be shiny.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We use a large white Polyform ball, that we paint a blue stripe on, and they last about 10-12 years.

This photo was take in 2013 and that Polyform ball is still going strong..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is the blue stripe because it looks cool or is there a functionality to the upgrade?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We just sold ours in Maine, I think it had a blue stripe. Miss having it knock on the bow while I tried to sleep.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thread drift:laugh:

Thanks to those who responded to the original question. Maybe I should have explained why I want the info on how long a mooring ball has to be replaced. We are trying to re-establish a reasonable "maintenance/replacement" schedule for our mooring equipment. I realize there are a lot of variables and "your results may vary" but getting some actual experience would be helpful.

So re-stating a little differently - How often do you have to replace your mooring ball?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Check with my former marina, DiAnna could give you the schedule we used:

DiAnna Hall
Director of Waterfront Services & Member Relations

HandyBoat_Logo_gray
Handy Boat Casco Bay
215 Foreside Rd.
Falmouth, Me. 04105

207-781-5110
207-781-7534 fax

Things are a little different here in Vero Beach, the mooring floats are foam. We were on one that broke in two, but having rafted boats might wear them differently. We stayed on metal ones in the Abacos, those have been hurricane 5 tested.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thread drift:laugh:

Thanks to those who responded to the original question. Maybe I should have explained why I want the info on how long a mooring ball has to be replaced. We are trying to re-establish a reasonable "maintenance/replacement" schedule for our mooring equipment. I realize there are a lot of variables and "your results may vary" but getting some actual experience would be helpful.

So re-stating a little differently - How often do you have to replace your mooring ball?
I have only replaced one (ball) over the last 20 seasons with the same mooring tackle. Most often replaced piece is the pick up buoy which tends to be run over by motorboats at night occasionally. That can happen every 3-4 seasons.

Next most replaced part would be the nylon or braided pennant or howser from the ball to the boats bow. Those last about 10 seasons, my guess.

Next is probably the upper chain, the smaller links of the system. I'm moored in about 20' LW. I believe I've replaced the upper chain once in those 20 seasons.

Next would be bottom chain, the large link chain length shackled to the upper chain and the staple (we call it) at the granite block(4,000 lbs)

Lastly, I think I may have had the staple replaced once on a previous mooring. That requires raising the block with a work barge, lowering it on the beach at high tide, and having the mooring guy replace the staple at low water. The staples used here are simply 1" steel re-bar which is bent into a 'U' shape, inserted through the granite block, and peened over flat on the back side of the block, with a sledge hammer.

The new cast concrete mooring blocks are designed with an easily removed bar to shackle the bottom chain to. The bar can be replaced in the water.

Either granite or the typical concrete cast moorings last way longer than you need to consider. :)

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Lake Michigan user here . I'm still using the same mooring ball after 20 years . The stainless rod that runs from the bottom wore through from the mooring chain itself. Hamilton and Defender both sell replacement rods . I hope this helps .

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
TomY, Granite is not easily available in that size for here in coastal SC. We need to replace 6 concrete anchors with a steel rod and eye as they are corroded in about the same time (13 years) as your staple and are not replaceable. Our chain does not last nearly as long as your's but the corrosion is probably due to the fact that the area where our mooring field lies has a fairly high "phospate" concentration. We are conducting detailed inspections of each mooring 2 times a year and plan on replacing the chain and shackles, etc. every 4 years right now for budget purposes but that may change based on the inspections. I sure hope so. We will use a hardshell foam ball.

With all the info I am getting I am sure we can come up with a reasonable projected cost to maintain the mooring field. Thanks and keep any other perspectives coming as the more dat the better.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
TomY, Granite is not easily available in that size for here in coastal SC. We need to replace 6 concrete anchors with a steel rod and eye as they are corroded in about the same time (13 years) as your staple and are not replaceable. Our chain does not last nearly as long as your's but the corrosion is probably due to the fact that the area where our mooring field lies has a fairly high "phospate" concentration. We are conducting detailed inspections of each mooring 2 times a year and plan on replacing the chain and shackles, etc. every 4 years right now for budget purposes but that may change based on the inspections. I sure hope so. We will use a hardshell foam ball.

With all the info I am getting I am sure we can come up with a reasonable projected cost to maintain the mooring field. Thanks and keep any other perspectives coming as the more dat the better.
This is the typical pre cast concrete mooring that's used around here. As you can see, the bar is simply a solid rod. It is easily replaced through a side cover. These moorings are marketed as habitat for marine life (that's a phony lobster stuffed in there,...) so they're pretty popular.

If you have to replace the staple or rod often, these might be a good $$$ saver in the long run as a diver can replace the bar with ease and the mooring block itself, would be permanent.

They are pricey though if only due to shipping the heavy freight. Granite on the other hand is readily available around here as it's mined and used for marine sea wall construction regularly.

Good luck!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Our chain does not last nearly as long as your's but the corrosion is probably due to the fact that the area where our mooring field lies has a fairly high "phospate" concentration.
Smokey, what are others in your area experiencing regarding some of these questions? Obviously local water chemistry, tides and weather have an effect. What about traffic? Do other moored boats have trouble with powerboats running over their tackle?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Smokey, what are others in your area experiencing regarding some of these questions? Obviously local water chemistry, tides and weather have an effect. What about traffic? Do other moored boats have trouble with powerboats running over their tackle?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Still researching that. We don't really have a problem with people running over our tackle. We believe the recent mooring ball failures were a manufacturing defect or just reduction in quality of construction. I called the individual that TomY gave me and she said they had two of the same manufacurer's balls fail after one year in the same failure mode. Local chemistry has a lot to do with the corrosion we believe but if others have insights please share them. We also have an 8 to 10 foot tide range with corresponding relatively strong flood and ebb and are on the ICW so get some "bobbing" from passing boats (about 300 to 400 yards away). Its supposed to be a "no wake" zone but you can imagine that a lot of power boaters don't seem to know what that is or just don't care.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Being in the south would be different than the north as your UV levels are not the same. I would imagine, as with bottom paints, location has a significant impact on your results. The number of variables may make it difficult to use comparisons from areas far from your location.

Do you have any information of past mooring balls in your marina? Might be the better starting point. Moving forward, keeping good records of mooring ball material and condition will give you a better idea moving forward. So perhaps you simply pick an inspection time frame you feel confident with and go with it. Then over time adjust your inspection rate as data mandates.

dj