Spinnakers, Cruising Sails, Code Zero and Bloopers on 420?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Pm me if you like to go out sailing with us. We use our asymmm and screecher ( similar to a code zero) all the time. We’re at Alameda Marina.

I’d be happy to show you the basics of rigging and flying an asymm with a sock/snuffer and a code zero with a continuous one from furler.

Judy B

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Having sailed with both socks and furlers on asymmetrical spinnakers I would say the furler is a bit easier to use. Having said that, the asym I just bought for my boat came with a sock but it was a screaming deal on a lightly used sail. An asym with a sock or furler is much easier to work with than a traditional symmetrical on a pole. Without the sock or furler it can still be a handful.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Holy cow:yikes:
Another boat buck's worth of education from the good doctor.

I can never come to the west coast now, simply because I could never afford to repay all I owe for all I'm learning.

Thanks DrJudyB.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 4, 2015
macgregor 26m lake tahoe and Santa Cruz
Pm me if you like to go out sailing with us. We use our asymmm and screecher ( similar to a code zero) all the time. We’re at Alameda Marina.

I’d be happy to show you the basics of rigging and flying an asymm with a sock/snuffer and a code zero with a continuous one from furler.

Judy B
That would be great! We are at Marina Villange n16 though the boat is in the boatyard for a few more days! While bringing up from Newport we hit a crabpot.
I’ve done a lot of racing and been on foredeck and now that we see older and going to be double handed I don’t want to deal with a pole. So love to see how it is done. We have the hunter in alameda to allow me to some days have a shorter commute via the ferry to SF rather tha. The long commute from our house in Clayton.
We bought a bigger boat from our MaCGregor we used In Tahoe a few years ago and keep it in San Diego. It is a c&c 37
And we love it but the v-berth isn’t great for more than a night or two for 2 people so we visit it once and month and love the area and have kids there. So we want to replicate the spinnaker or code zero or drifter or whatever!
Pat Brogan
Jim Mason
408-656-6145

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@Patbrogan,
I tend to be fairly free with some of my personal information online, but I would like to suggest you edit out specific contact information from public view. You can certainly send your information safely to another member using the private message (pm) feature.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
As she usually does, Dr. Judy nailed it. I would only supplement that our Doyle Asymetric will sail up to 65 degrees off the wind, and is our best sail on that course in light winds.

once the sock is down, I stuff the sock into its bag using about arm length fold, and leaving the sheet and luff lines attached. When the sock is in the bag, I coil the sheet an stuff it’s corner of the sail in the bag. The luff line which has a snap shackle to attach on the toerail after leading it through the front of the bow railing, comes last. I use the luff line shackle to join the three corners of the sail, so they are quickly available when deploying the sail.