Compass location

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
cool, thanks for the instructions, went to the boat today, removed the old knot meter and depth meter, removed the old compass, will definitely need a new one, the old one is covered in silicone and the plastic is cracked all over, now I'm left with the teak ring around the compass which is glued in place, gonna wait until it's warmer to try and remove it and patch the holes

Aug 17, 2013
so I'm looking at fixing the old compass, the compass itself is in great shape, but the outer mounting ring is all cracked and broken, the PO use silicone to hold it together, now I'm left without a mounting ring to mount the compass, I was thinking about making a wooden box to hold it and place it below the companionway, leaving the bulkheads free.

just not sure on the box design or how I'll install it's light.

Aug 17, 2013
I was thinking about buying a new one, but the compass itself is in great shape, just seems a shame to discard it

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I was thinking about buying a new one, but the compass itself is in great shape, just seems a shame to discard it
No need.... mount it inside the cabin on the forward bulkhead. You don't need the calibrated mounting ring, just a flat piece of wood with a hole in it. It's nice to be able to see headings when you're inside... My bulkhead mount Plastimo Contest is illuminated and can be seen from inside as well as from the cockpit.

Aug 17, 2013
I was wondering about mounting one on top of the companionway, what do you all think about that location?
it would be removable for when I store the mast for winter and would be under the dodger for the season

I was thinking of somethi like this

A5139265-5193-44C3-B074-4E7C1968977F.jpeg

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Got a compass on the Binnacle just to comply with the law. 100% of the time use GPS. It's so cheap nowadays I got 3 on board. Two of them AA battery operated. Unless US turn off the GPS, I think I will be fine. If they do, I just have to remember the sun rise in the East to get home.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
was wondering about mounting one on top of the companionway, what do you all think about that location?
That is not unheard of. It is centered so the same distance away and easy to see regardless of tack. It should generally be out of the way too.

-Will (Dragonfly)