ATT Garmin 7" GPSMAP owners

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I am planning to buy a GPSMAP 742 and would like to know how far offline the screen can be viewed. I want to flush mount it on the nav-pod on my steering pedestal and I usually sit on the side combing. I will mostly be looking at the screen from a sharp angle to either side and would like to know if the screen can be seen at these angles. I know that some screens can only be viewed from 20º to 30º to ea of square to the face and others can be seen from much farther to each side.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
My setup is exactly the same as yours except with an axiom. It’s new and I haven’t had the boat out since it’s install. I haven’t even tested for offline viewing. It was never a requirement. If I “need” to look at it, then I will be at the helm. But, I do know these waters pretty well..Are you sure you really need that requirement? Also, you could visit WM in Anacortes and “test” one in the store lighting environment. Actually, If you want, I can stop by and look at at and give you my opinion..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hayden. Sounds like a good Choice. Can’t you call Garmin and ask them about the number of nits for their screen and the angle of visibility. Then you would have data to support your idea.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I installed a 74CV in a navpod a few months ago, from the stern perch seats I can see the display but can't read anything on the 2 screens I use most often, the "Wind Gauge" and chart with a waypoint set. Just too small and far away even with my glasses, if using the "numbers" screen with just large numerical displays of speed etc. you can read well. I usually watch the row of ST60's above it when sitting to the side.

Apr 5, 2009
My setup is exactly the same as yours except with an axiom. It’s new and I haven’t had the boat out since it’s install. I haven’t even tested for offline viewing. It was never a requirement. If I “need” to look at it, then I will be at the helm. But, I do know these waters pretty well..Are you sure you really need that requirement? Also, you could visit WM in Anacortes and “test” one in the store lighting environment. Actually, If you want, I can stop by and look at at and give you my opinion..
Thanks Mark. On my boat I am almost never "at the helm". I have pretty bad scoliosis so it is very uncomfortable to stand for any length of time but sitting on the combing is comfortable so I drive from the low-side combing. My old chart plotter was smaller and mounted on a swivel so I could rotate it to each side but that caused wiring problems over the years.

Helm seat.JPG

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Does your local West Marine or similar retailer carry that model in store? For an issue like this it might be easiest to actually see the screen in person rather than trying to guess what it would look like based on a spec sheet.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
Do you need to use the navpod? I mounted my 740s on a ram mount with a long arm. It is fully articulating and full 360 degree rotation. When im at the helm i turn it that way, when im sitting to one side i face it that way. If i run down below to fix a sammich i face it towards the companionway...

Apr 5, 2009
Davidsailor26, I am in Tucson for the winter so the nearest West Marine is over 100 miles away in Pheonix. There are no marine store or even boat dealers in Tucson. They don't even have a Cabela's or Bass Pro.

hawk232, I had originally thought of doing that and may still but I had problems with broken wires and mounts on my last plotter due to swiveling back and forth so would rather keep it fixed.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
Interesting. I have not had any of those problems on any of the 3 740s units that i have had over the past 7 or so years, two of them full swiveling and one of them only tilting.

Apr 5, 2009
Hopefully that was on several boats because I would hate to think you were only getting a couple of years out of a chartplotter.

Apr 5, 2009
Based on the photo in post 5, it looks like I will need to see the screen from about 50º-60º off center.