Leaking Water pump.....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all....

So last weekend at the boat and I notice a good size puddle of coolant under front of engine.... and upon closer inspection a small puddle on the engine right under the housing for my water pump (fresh not sea). Now when I think back to last winter I noticed not as much but I did find antifreeze in same place under engine and never paid too much concern because it was just a little. So looking at the housing and wiping it I see it is slowly leaking. As a side note.... ran engine hard all summer... unfortunately a couple times for several hours (no wind) and never had an issue with overheating or any leaking.... No bearing sound issues and belt is not too tight. So I put a ratchet on the two bolts at bottom of housing and they each turned a bit once I applied a bit of force.... nothing crazy. I didn't bother with other bolts as it was cold and getting dark and figured I'd take a better look this weekend. I cleaned up and put a fresh paper towel under to see if any leak. I feel maybe the housing loosened slightly over the years along with the cold weather and contracting metal.... it is the original water pump according to maintenance records. Should I get crazy and replace gasket before season or maybe give the rest of the bolts a slight turn to spec and lets see what happens with the tightening and eventual warmer weather. I usually get crazy but I am leaning towards the latter. Maybe just buy a replacement (pump / gaskets) just to have as it is an eventual spare which I wish to travel with....

Thanks
Greg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My two cents, and worth every penny, is to tighten the bolts to spec and get a new gasket to hold as a spare. In my experience, pumps usually fail at the shaft seal which also takes out the bearings. A leak at the mounting is different. OTOH, if you have many thousands of hours on this engine a premptive pump replacement could be a good idea. I would do as I have suggested and if inclined to replace the pump I would do so at the next antifreeze change. YMMV.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Original pump?

How comfortable would you be trusting it when running off a rocky lee shore, docking, etc...?

Peace of mind is “worth” something more than just consideration of the cost of a new pump.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How comfortable would you be trusting it when running off a rocky lee shore, docking, etc...?
Man that should put it into perspective for every sailor.

Rich has it down pat. The usual leak is around the seal and bearing. There is even a "weep" hole in the housing to let the leaking weep out so you can know things are amiss. If you do not recognize this warning, the next effort by this workhorse pump is to blow the seal and spray a fine mist of antifreeze all over the engine compartment. :yikes: (still got the tee shirt for this one). And finally the engine will rebel as the coolant has left the engine. It will over heat and the temp warning horn will alert your neighbors that you are ignoring your engine. The final chapter in this downward spiral is for the engine to seize and quit.

For less than $100 you can buy a new pump. Install it and have an engine run like a teenager.

Your boat your call.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Yea well my thoughts exactly. I dont really care about the money...... a blown engine costs more. And the job is easy. The shaft and weep holes are “dry as toast” (winter fun.... what movie is that from). And it only happened in the cold. Summer hot not a drop. I am actually one of those freaks that checks all fluid levels before during and after every run..... so I’m thinking to torque them to spec. And see. Engine last year during an 8 hr run got to around 170 so I think she’s working. Engine is a yanmar 4JH4E with about 700 hrs. But I’ll buy a new pump just in case and go sailing....

thanks as always
Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am actually one of those freaks that checks all fluid levels
Hey.. I resemble most of that remark. I do not consider us freaks.. Maybe a bit over zealous or persnickety about "Normal Engine Maintenance" but not freakish.

That is unless you are doing this observation wearing something unusual..
1579306062719.png
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Then that might be a bit freaky...

:laugh:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Hey.. I resemble most of that remark. I do not consider us freaks.. Maybe a bit over zealous or persnickety about "Normal Engine Maintenance" but not freakish.

That is unless you are doing this observation wearing something unusual..
View attachment 174171
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Then that might be a bit freaky...

:laugh:
Like who wears green anymore.......

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hello all....

So last weekend at the boat and I notice a good size puddle of coolant under front of engine.... and upon closer inspection a small puddle on the engine right under the housing for my water pump (fresh not sea). Now when I think back to last winter I noticed not as much but I did find antifreeze in same place under engine and never paid too much concern because it was just a little. So looking at the housing and wiping it I see it is slowly leaking. As a side note.... ran engine hard all summer... unfortunately a couple times for several hours (no wind) and never had an issue with overheating or any leaking.... No bearing sound issues and belt is not too tight. So I put a ratchet on the two bolts at bottom of housing and they each turned a bit once I applied a bit of force.... nothing crazy. I didn't bother with other bolts as it was cold and getting dark and figured I'd take a better look this weekend. I cleaned up and put a fresh paper towel under to see if any leak. I feel maybe the housing loosened slightly over the years along with the cold weather and contracting metal.... it is the original water pump according to maintenance records. Should I get crazy and replace gasket before season or maybe give the rest of the bolts a slight turn to spec and lets see what happens with the tightening and eventual warmer weather. I usually get crazy but I am leaning towards the latter. Maybe just buy a replacement (pump / gaskets) just to have as it is an eventual spare which I wish to travel with....

Thanks
Greg
My '91 MKII 25xp had a water pump problem. There was movement in the pump shaft with a tiny leak. To my surprise, the pump change took 1/2 hour from the time I opened my tool box to the time I closed it. Not difficult at all and I am glad I changed it. Of course, now I've become paranoid with my '97 MKIII, even though the engine has only 625 hours. Good Luck and Happy Sailing