Newsflash - Cheetos has spoken

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Cheetos has made it official. That dusty cheese byproduct often called "Cheetos fingers" has a name, Cheetle.
I hate the stuff. It really stains the fiberglass. It's hard enough cleaning up after red wine!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Oh horrors! Like something seen cannot be unseen, this is definitely a case of something heard that I'll never be able to unhear!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
True story.... And I promise it is related to Cheetos.
I do research on electro-catalyst and I have one that mimics some of the properties of photosynthesis (i.e. makes carbon bonds from CO2). The problem is that the only solvent that is stable in the potential ranges of the catalyst is acetonitrile (i.e methyl-cyanide).
1579041432281.png

Anyway, if I run the electrolysis for more than five minutes the entire lab starts to smell like Cheetos. It is not just me who thinks it smells that way. I've had colleagues come into the lab and chastise me for eating Cheetos in the lab. Let's just say that I no longer allow my kids to eat any fake yellow cheese products. (I also called a guy to come inspect my fume hood).

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My guess is the smell is lactic acid (from the CO2 catalysis) plus some other byproduct that smells like oil.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Very interesting.
My wife has noticed that pollen, collected by our bees in their hive, smells like Cheetos. Pollen, photo synthesis, Cheetos, maybe there's a connection.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I can honesty not recall ever seeing Cheetos on Dalliance. My occasional guilty pleasure is Cool Ranch Doritos. Some residue, but at least it’s not fluorescent.