Port lights

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What material is used in port lights? Is it real glass or maybe Lexar, or plexiglass or some kind of acrylic? Can anyone buy that material, cut and then replace the port light glass?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Some ports are tempered glass, most are acrylic (Plexiglass).

Checkout Hatchmasters.com they will cut the plexiglass. Also look at the blog where they talk about the differences between lean (polycarbonate), Plexiglass (acrylic), and glass. Our Lewmar hatches are going there this week to have the lenses replaced.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Brian, our Lewmar port lights (aft cabin) are made of Acrylic. Our Bomars (main cabin) I think use Lexan for the opening lights that are placed in the center of Acrylic port lights. Some boats (Pacific Seacraft) use tempered glass. Others Lexan. I need to replace some of ours and plan to buy bulk sheet and cut my own. I've had some dialogue with Lewmar about the topic and just the lenses are pretty pricey. Size 1 lens is $40 (need two) and size 4 is $60 (need four).

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Some ports are tempered glass, most are acrylic (Plexiglass).

Checkout Hatchmasters.com they will cut the plexiglass. Also look at the blog where they talk about the differences between lean (polycarbonate), Plexiglass (acrylic), and glass. Our Lewmar hatches are going there this week to have the lenses replaced.
Hi Dave, thank you for the Hatchmasters tip. They will save me some dough if I purchase their product rather than Lewmar direct. I still may try to make my own.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I have suggested that owners wishing to replace hatch lenses take their frames,
(not the whole hatch) to a local glass shop.
Often they have the material in stock, whether it be Lexan or acrylic or tempered glass.
They are far more expert at installing the material than most of us and they will be less expensive than sending the frames off to an out-of-town supplier.
They also care about their local reputation. But do a Yelp search just to be sure.
My two hatches cost $130 total to re-lens. YMMV

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think glass would normally be preferred but there isn't any tolerance for curvature. On small ports that are flat, I would prefer glass. When I had my Bomon windows made, their standard is tempered glass unless there is more than 1 mm of curvature, I believe. I had to go with lexan because of the curvature.

Jan 11, 2014
We're taking our hatches to Hatchmasters because the gaskets on our Lewmar Ocean Series hatches need to be replaced and it necessary to remove the lens to replace the gaskets. The lenses are 27 years old and are crazed, so replacing them at the same time makes sense. I'm having Hatchmasters do it, because that is one less job I'll have to do and apparently it is a bit tricky to get it all assembled.

Glass, lexan, and acrylic are not interchangeable. Acrylic is more scratch and UV resistant and less expensive than lean (polycarbonate). That is what Lewmar used, so I'm going with acrylic. Glass is more scratch and UV resistant than Acrylic but, it is less impact resistant. There are always tradeoffs.

Feb 17, 2006
Scott are you saying your ports are curved, like in not flat straight? That sounds like yours are wrap around more or less.

Interesting thought about using a local glass installer and not a marine type shop. Makes sense. Problem would be the gasket replacement. I have Vetus ports and the gasket come from Europe. Very expensive. I have looked to see if I can make my own but I really do not have the actual design of the gasket.

Thanks for the link, Dave. That was good reading.

Jan 11, 2014
Scott are you saying your ports are curved, like in not flat straight? That sounds like yours are wrap around more or less.

Interesting thought about using a local glass installer and not a marine type shop. Makes sense. Problem would be the gasket replacement. I have Vetus ports and the gasket come from Europe. Very expensive. I have looked to see if I can make my own but I really do not have the actual design of the gasket.

Thanks for the link, Dave. That was good reading.
A local glass or plastics shop can make the lens. The gasket is a different story, they are most likely proprietary.

Feb 17, 2006
In theory, any gasket can work as long as the fit and function are correct. The form is irrelevant. The purpose is for a water tight seal so anything that will form that seal can be used. Would be nice to have an original. One day when I know it won't rain I will remove one port and see what it is made of.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'm assuming these are hinged opening ports.

If you're into hobby woodworking in a serious sort of way, I cut my own lenses and used the old cleaned acrylic lenses as templates with a template router bit for a +/- 0.001" fit.
7 mm. (5/16") acrylic for three opening hatches (two 12 X 12" and one 21 X 21") set me back about $40.00.

Identical to the original ports in every way.

Feb 17, 2006
Well, Ralph, that was a vision I had. But I have to make make-shift gaskets that work. I'll take one off and done some images and drawings. From there I can test different material. I did purchase Neoprene at 1/16" thick. Wonder how that will work. might not be dense to keep water out.

Jan 4, 2006
So I take it you're replacing acrylic glass AND installing new gaskets (aluminum frame to FG outer cabin).

Don't see why neoprene wouldn't work. Guess it depends on the thickness and density. I would think you could use strips rather than producing solid gaskets with horrendous wastage. Never replaced the gaskets, just the acrylic.

Do you have any custom gasket manufacturers in your area ? They may be able to supply more appropriate material.

Keep us posted. I always like to work vicariously through others and experiment at the risk of others ;).

Feb 17, 2006
Well, I was waiting for you to give us a report. LOL I would think a good RV store might have a selection of gaskets for their windows. Not sure. I would really like to replace the lenses in my ports though. They are old, faded, and crazed.

Jan 11, 2014
Well, I was waiting for you to give us a report. LOL I would think a good RV store might have a selection of gaskets for their windows. Not sure. I would really like to replace the lenses in my ports though. They are old, faded, and crazed.
A number of manufacturers, Catalina, Tanzer, Sabre to name a few, used aluminum frames for the fixed portlights. The gaskets the lens fits into is a standard item available from CR Laurence and I believe from Catalina Direct. Look for vinyl glazing. After installation, Sabre trimmed the outer flange and sealed with silicon caulk.

Gaskets for opening hatches, like the Lewmar hatches can be proprietary. Defender and others sell gasket material by the foot for Bomar opening hatches with cast frames.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The curvature is barely perceptible. The 4 fixed lights on the sides of the coach each are at least 20" long and the curvature (or deflection) is only about 1/8" (about 3 mm). When I sent measurements to Bomon, the tolerance for curvature was just 1 mm I think. They said they had to use either acrylic or lexan, but they could not use tempered glass, which was their standard product. I'm guessing that is the reason why most production sailboats do not use tempered glass - because the boat sidewalls typically have some curvature where the frame needs to conform. Smaller portlights with shorter length could probably be installed without the need to flex for the curvature and tempered glass may be preferable in that case. As Dave says, there are trade-offs no matter what the choice of material. I think polycarbonate has the greatest impact resistance but least quality for visibility. Acrylic may be the best (most suitable for boating) compromise of the 3 materials.

Feb 17, 2006
OK, so then thickness of the lenes? Any guesses?

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Check McMaster Carr or Grainger. You can find O ring stock in a variety of sizes. O ring stock is basically a long string of "rubber" which is cut to form O rings. Guessing Vetus would be metric. Bowmar hatch gasket is "D" shaped and crazy expensive, but you can find something similar at one of the industrial sources. The gaskets are basically big o rings. Don Casey or Nigel Calder had an opinion regarding Glass, vs acrylic vs lexan. Not as clear cut as you'd think. New acrylic is a bit more flexible that the others, which may be an advantage given the bamboo vs Oak tree in a storm scenario. Old acrylic tends to shatter. Different caulk needed for glass vs lexan vs acrylic. Now I have to remember where I was reading it.

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Well, I was waiting for you to give us a report. LOL
Huh, what, where ? Did I miss something.

Opening port/hatch lights are not my forte, but I think it's about time I at least became familiar with it.

Found this in my records from a few years ago:

Bomar.JPG

Seems like a good material. The gasket is not a solid dimensional item but tape. So good so far. The next step is yours.

Tell me where you're at and I can describe exactly how to remove, fabricate, and install the acrylic glass (for a small gratuity).