EV-100 install

Oct 7, 2014
Hunter 280 280 Kemah, Texas
I am at Seabrook Marina, Houston
Can a I get a good recommendation for a reliable someone with professional skills to install a Raymarine EV-100 wheel auto pilot on my 1996 Hunter 280?
I will buy the unit, some additional wiring may or may not be needed, possibly an additional mounting bracket installed as well, as I will be adding navigation and Sea Talk in the near future.

Thanks in advance

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Can't help you on a specific installer, however, many installers prefer to sell you the device and install it rather than install a owner purchased product. If you are guessing it is about the money, you would be correct. The installer can make a little extra by selling you the product, money he can't make by installing something you purchased.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
FYI, some " kits" are minus the SeaTalk power plug. I acquired a Depth-Speed-Mast head wind unit (RayMarine) that you'd have thought would have come with the power feed.. Nope. Had to work around that while I ordered and awaited shipment. The kit did come with the piggybacks, s once power got to the first unit it transferred to the others..

Jan 11, 2014
I do ...... Thats all I needed to hear
When I installed a RM AP a few years ago, the only tricky part was aligning the drive wheel and motor assembly with the steering wheel. I had an old Edson pedestal that was smaller than the current crop of pedestals. It took some finagling and shimming to get it right. This was on a predecessor to the EVO line. The rest of the install, computer, compass, wiring was pretty simple.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I am at Seabrook Marina, Houston
Can a I get a good recommendation for a reliable someone with professional skills to install a Raymarine EV-100 wheel auto pilot on my 1996 Hunter 280?
I will buy the unit, some additional wiring may or may not be needed, possibly an additional mounting bracket installed as well, as I will be adding navigation and Sea Talk in the near future.

Thanks in advance
I am at HYC in LaPorte. I installed one a few years ago on my Hunter 31. I would be happy to share my experience and even help if you need a hand. PM me if you want to talk.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi there Bob. As you may now guess it is a DIY project. Maybe a 5-6 on the 10 scale of projects. The kit comes with some good instructions. And it looks like you have a new buddy who can help you clarify the challenges and drink your beer. Sounds like a great afternoon in Houston.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
My ray marine st-6000 stopped working this season and repairing unit doesn't appear to be cost effective due obsolete parts. So I plan on installing new Ev 100 on my Hunter 34 some time in the near future.
Installing the old unit was a nightmare, callabration of the unit and wiring was pain in the neck.
I've been watching YouTube videos and speaking with there phone techs and the new Ev 100 looks to be pretty straight forward. The plug in connectors look to be error proff. The compass according to everything I have researched doesn't need any callabration at all, just has to be mounted level within manufactures spe. Looks like the running the power supply wires is going to be the most difficult part of the install. Maybe the wheel and motor install might be a little time consuming.

If you decide to do it let us know.

• Helpful
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
If Mike above is unable to assist, send me a PM and I can provide local and reasonable service providers in Kemah that I have used in the past to work on my EV100.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
When I installed my first wheel pilot, immediately after turning it On, the wheel turned hard to port until it hit the rudder stop. I checked and double checked and finally called Raymarine. The tech on the line without giving much explanation asked me to switch around the wires that powered the motor at the control box and it worked. My point is DIY but if you get stuck call tech support.

Jan 11, 2014
When I installed my first wheel pilot, immediately after turning it On, the wheel turned hard to port until it hit the rudder stop. I checked and double checked and finally called Raymarine. The tech on the line without giving much explanation asked me to switch around the wires that powered the motor at the control box and it worked. My point is DIY but if you get stuck call tech support.
Same thing happened to me. The installation manual was wrong, the directions had the blue and brown wires reversed. :mad:

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I did it. It’s really quite simple once you know what to do. The knowing what to do part is the catch because the instructions are mind blowingly bad.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Reminds me of a joke... why is sex like a computer manual? Well, when it's good, it's really really good. When it's bad, well, it's better than nothing...

dj

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree with the others. If you have DYI skills, you can install the EV-100. The package includes a SeaTalkng starter kit for your SeaTalkng Network. You can find the manuals online and study them. RM's SeaTalkng network components are color coded for easy assembly of the network making an easy install. Running the cables will probably be the hardest part.
Google Raymarine Forums to find RM's forum site with lots of info on install.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Reminds me of a joke... why is sex like a computer manual? Well, when it's good, it's really really good. When it's bad, well, it's better than nothing...

dj
I thought it was pizza:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What? @rgranger ? :banghead:Is this confusion between pizza and sex?:yikes:

perhaps too much :beer:

no that can’t be right. Never too much :beer:

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Same thing happened to me. The installation manual was wrong, the directions had the blue and brown wires reversed. :mad:
I installed an EV100 and I-70s instrument package last month and the instructions were spot on. Raymarine must be listening to complaints.

@Bob135711 Sorry to say you just missed a $250 rebate on autopilot and another $250 on instruments. But you must have some luck as the place I bought it from dropped the price $19 to $1233.73 and free shipping. (Model # T70152)

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I had my EV100 with the 70 instrument package almost 2 years before even thinking about installing it. It was very simple to do the whole thing!! Just have a good buddy (a regular on SBO) who recently did it on their boat come and do it on yours and it worked perfectly the first time it was turned on. Amazing. Thanks WH.