Electrical Fire!

Dec 26, 2019
Hunter 420 Passage New London
Had a high resistance ground, from ignition switch to Alternator controller, towed to Saint Augustine replaced switch and wire. But have to replace wiring, have a 1.5 v leakage in damage somewhere. Looking for good supplier for all the colors.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It looks like the wire is damaged into the wire bundle. I’d look at the bundle and the other end for wire condition that looks wrong. That will give you more info as to the issue.

Dec 26, 2019
Exactly what I did, there is melting all the way to the switch, and the Harbor Freight, connector to the Xanterx controller, which still works, whew! But have 1.5v leakage that sets off alarm when starting battery is switched on. BEFORE I turn on ignition. Not messing around building new. Looking for decent connectors and wire in right colors.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
#1 Every wire on the vessel should be properly fused to prevent this. That level of insulation melting could have burned your boat to the waterline. If the boat had been correctly wired, to ABYC standards, this wire would not look like this and your risk of a fire would be greatly reduced.

#2 It is critically important this is properly diagnosed and corrected for. If you don't have the skills or tools to do this don't be afraid to find a good local ABYC certified marine electrician.

#3 Harbor Freight terminals are of very poor quality and really should be avoided..

Dec 26, 2019
I know, if we had been outside, Capt Mary sleeping, I wouldn't have known till the smoke detector went off. No sense if smell. Looking for someone who might have replaced their wiring, for a good supplier. Maybe even better after market harness.

Dec 26, 2019
We have all seen some, crummy work. The external bow thruster that came with her a classic. Was supposed to be 24v. Battery to make it that, was dead and connected to a 2 pole switch that would short it out when put on charge. Ever see a 12v to 12v battery charger?? And no wires to the thruster. I learned to handle a boat. Thinking about removing it. Too many projects, Mary wants to paint Flordia House.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I’ve used two sources in our Everett, WA area for my marine grade electrical wiring needs. All Battery Sales (Interstate Batteries) got me 100’ spools ($7 each) of color coded wire when I installed our Link1000 monitor and Pacific Power did our new 2.0 cables when I replaced our charger/inverter. Saved us a bundle compared to WM.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Terry, I must ask:
What sort of wire, quality wise, do you get @ $7 for a 100 ft spool?
Is the wire stranded and tinned?
Where was it made?
I don't think I would sleep well if i used it.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Back to your original inquiry about suppliers. Some forum members in the past have used this company, I have not.

they also have better quality connectors.

SBO (this sites hosts) also carry wire/cable and connectors etc.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Gregs Marine Wire Supply has a large variety of wire colors including striped wire. I used them for wire colors to match the wiring in my C30.

Dec 26, 2019
Thank You will be tackling this in a couple weeks, moored safely in Vero Beach. Working on dirt dwelling right now. Happy New Year

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Catalina DIrect sells replacement wire harnesses for $125-150 depending on length. The colors and wire gauge are proper for Universal diesel ( there is an Atomic 4 version too). Easier and maybe less expensive than chasing down all the individual wire colors needed.

• Helpful
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
"Catalina DIrect sells replacement wire harnesses for $125-150 depending on length. The colors and wire gauge are proper for Universal diesel ( there is an Atomic 4 version too). Easier and maybe less expensive than chasing down all the individual wire colors needed."

Now That's Helpful.