Wheel or tiller? Which rolls best?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I am used to the tiller, so when I steer my friends wheel boat I use my feet on the bottom of the wheel to prevent me from oversteering.
I learned that from a captain in the BVI. It may sound silly but it works.
Belated Merry Christmas to all.
Merry Christmas, but that sounds silly because it is! :huh:;) If you have a problem oversteering with your hands, how do you think you are going solve that by steering with your feet! Is it because it is simply more awkward? I've steered with my feet at the bottom of the wheel. It doesn't take long before it gets uncomfortable. It's only a neat trick to do if you feel like lounging and freeing your hands for a little while! :biggrin::biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
As @Scott T-Bird said, the wheel steering stick takes getting used to but it's not converting a wheel to a tiller. On our boat we use it to allow us to sit off to the side, out of comfortable reach of the wheel, and make slight steering corrections on a straight course. Anything more than slight corrections I move back to hands on the wheel.
I love being able to steer while kicking back in the perch seats in steady winds.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Merry Christmas, but that sounds silly because it is! :huh:;) If you have a problem oversteering with your hands, how do you think you are going solve that by steering with your feet! Is it because it is simply more awkward? I've steered with my feet at the bottom of the wheel. It doesn't take long before it gets uncomfortable. It's only a neat trick to do if you feel like lounging and freeing your hands for a little while! :biggrin::biggrin:
I guess I should have explained my statement better. When I was in the BVI we chartered a working 54' Irwin and just coming off Heart surgery I was designated to working the helm. Being a tiller man I had the tendency to over steer the wheel so the captain suggested using my feet at the bottom to get used to the wheel movement. It's hard as hell to over steer with your feet. Simple solution that worked for me.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That works for me! Don't take me too seriously … I'm just bustin' chops as we say in NJ!

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
Tiller is much easier to dock with. You don't have to keep guessing where the rudder is pointed, and you can turn it 90 degrees very quickly. A tiller can be made far more bullet proof ,easily. Wheels give far more power for a poorly balanced boat.