Advice for Beginner

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I don't plan on sailing more than 10-15 miles offshore. I know I'd be okay in good weather, but how will the Macs fair if I'm caught in a storm? I've seen others say the Sound can get pretty nasty. If I'm stuck in the middle, can the Macs easily escape to safety under power?

Even if the Macs are appropriate for my situation, I'm still not completely sold on them. I'd like suggestions for other boats that are suitable for me. I'm looking in the 18-26 foot range and my budget is 5k-10k.
If you are 15 miles out and let a squall sneak up on you, the answer is no - the big motor won’t get you to safety, Seamanship is the only thing that can get you safely in. You won’t be planing in at 15 knots in 30 knot blow and a 4-6 foot chop. The fact that you are asking the question makes @jssailem ‘s point that you don’t know what you don’t know. You need to be constantly weather aware, particularly if you are 15 miles out.

You definitely DON’T want a Macgregor. These are quirky boats for quirky people that really want them. I searched for nearly a year before I found mine, and I am really enjoying it. I had read every vitriolic diatribe written about them, in addition to glowing reviews from the Mac cult following. The fact that you say you aren’t sold on them pretty much tells me you shouldn’t get one.

There are plenty of boats you can get with your budget. Find one you’re really sold on AFTER you’ve honed in on how you’ll use it. You can’t always run from the weather - no matter how big your motor is. You need to learn your boat and know what to do to come through a blow.

Good luck in your search.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I've sold several MacGregor 26x's, 26m's and 19'x's. They are not my cup of tea, but many buyers really like them and are not sorry they purchased them. One guy bought a 19x and took the mast off and just used it as a motor boat. Because they are sort of hermorphodite boats (power and sail), they don't necessarily appeal to the purist sailor (and shouldn't). They are simple and affordable boats and are not strong builds and so you don't take them off shore, but they are fine in protected waters. Because they are water ballasted, the ballast is high (in the hull) and not below the hull (which increases stability) and water is not as heavy as lead, cast iron or even concrete. So, to compensate some of this they shorten up the mast and make the combined effort of the sail area (between headsail and mainsail) lower. The downside is lack of performance under sail. But for someone who has only sailed this type of boat it is all they know and so they could be satisfied. If you get on a keener, more sophisticated sailboat, you will see the difference and the difference between most any sailboat that has a lead keel and high aspect ratio rig (for example) have lots of differences too anyway. There are lots of compromises in boat design. The boats you have in your radar do have larger interiors and enclosed, private heads (as mentioned above), which most anyone likes. Headroom is higher, but the 19x has sitting headroom. You can pull the two piece mast on the 19x and stow it inside the boat when trailering as they have a carrier inside the boat on the port side. The M's are upgrades from the X's and others have made comments above on their differences. Under power, you do go fast. Typically there are two polar groups between sailors and power boaters and the snide remarks from both sides support that. These MacGregors sort of bridge the two and quite simply, that appeals to a certain segment of the buying market and so they sold a bunch. You are new to the sport and have not established any meaningful priorities for what you want in a boat and that's all right. We all started somewhere. But, also as mentioned above, expose yourself to different brands, compare what they offer and how they relate to where you wish to sail - considering other criterias like trailering verses keeping the boat in a slip or on a mooring, costs of maintenance, etc. MacGregors are easy to care for, actually, so maintenance is minimal. They are basically fiberglass and stainless steel. Not much wood and if you trailer all the time, you don't even need bottom paint. The first boat you buy might not be the best choice you ever made, but it is a start. Buy something you know you can sell when you do start learning more about what you want in a boat. Good luck.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I've sold several MacGregor 26x's, 26m's and 19'x's. They are not my cup of tea, but many buyers really like them and are not sorry they purchased them. One guy bought a 19x and took the mast off and just used it as a motor boat. Because they are sort of hermorphodite boats (power and sail), they don't necessarily appeal to the purist sailor (and shouldn't). They are simple and affordable boats and are not strong builds and so you don't take them off shore, but they are fine in protected waters. Because they are water ballasted, the ballast is high (in the hull) and not below the hull (which increases stability) and water is not as heavy as lead, cast iron or even concrete. So, to compensate some of this they shorten up the mast and make the combined effort of the sail area (between headsail and mainsail) lower. The downside is lack of performance under sail. But for someone who has only sailed this type of boat it is all they know and so they could be satisfied. If you get on a keener, more sophisticated sailboat, you will see the difference and the difference between most any sailboat that has a lead keel and high aspect ratio rig (for example) have lots of differences too anyway. There are lots of compromises in boat design. The boats you have in your radar do have larger interiors and enclosed, private heads (as mentioned above), which most anyone likes. Headroom is higher, but the 19x has sitting headroom. You can pull the two piece mast on the 19x and stow it inside the boat when trailering as they have a carrier inside the boat on the port side. The M's are upgrades from the X's and others have made comments above on their differences. Under power, you do go fast. Typically there are two polar groups between sailors and power boaters and the snide remarks from both sides support that. These MacGregors sort of bridge the two and quite simply, that appeals to a certain segment of the buying market and so they sold a bunch. You are new to the sport and have not established any meaningful priorities for what you want in a boat and that's all right. We all started somewhere. But, also as mentioned above, expose yourself to different brands, compare what they offer and how they relate to where you wish to sail - considering other criterias like trailering verses keeping the boat in a slip or on a mooring, costs of maintenance, etc. MacGregors are easy to care for, actually, so maintenance is minimal. They are basically fiberglass and stainless steel. Not much wood and if you trailer all the time, you don't even need bottom paint. The first boat you buy might not be the best choice you ever made, but it is a start. Buy something you know you can sell when you do start learning more about what you want in a boat. Good luck.
:plus:

I sail an extremely high-performance craft and I'm all about getting to as many far away destinations as possible in the available time. I can sail at 12+ knots in my Corsair trimaran, but I have to give up creature comforts of a bigger boat. I can't afford to acquire, berth, or maintain a bigger Corsair at this stage of life.

I personally don't want a Mac 26 M or X., BUT I totally get that some folks love their Macs. I know dozens of Mac 26X and 26M owners who have tons of fun going on near-shore (just a few miles off shore) trips in good weather windows in comfort with family and kids. They have fun according to their own definition of fun.

They want big interior & creature comforts, 15 knots under power, and the choice of storing either on a trailer or in the water. They aren't into sailing in all conditions. The Mac 26M and X are perfect for their intended purposes and use.

Judy

Last edited:

wk3636

Nov 23, 2019
MAC 26X Waveland
Again, thank you for all the great advice.

I was able to get on a boat yesterday (Catalina 40) and learn a little. Unfortunately, I have to return to Colorado for a few months but I'll be back on the MS Coast in the Spring for more exploration and lessons.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
...you get excited and want to skip those early "steps" and go all-in.
Unfortunately, once “all in” it’s usually hard to get “all out” if you find you’ve made the proverbial “error in judgement.“ One thing I’ve noticed. For those who know little about what they’re getting into anything, or virtually everything, is “possible.” For those with the knowledge and experience, only some things are “possible” or at minimum, practical. That is, perhaps possible but not practical given....

Boating is an expensive recreation, even if it happens to be affordable. The only thing I can imagine being more expensive as a recreation is owning your own airplane and flying it, or conducting extensive travel for sport such with big game hunting or such; likely a thing of the past. But it’s much easier to terminate travel than to remove oneself from the relentless pressure of the fixed costs of ownership of a boat or a plane, etc. So, it is astonishing to me when folks look to jump into boating and a boat-ownership commitment knowing next to nothing about it; not even how to sail the darn thing:doh:.

So, yes. You must learn to sail, however awkwardly it may seem at first. You should charter, or join a sailing club that has boats, for a short time to introduce yourself to the recreation, and make to contact with folks who sail the local area. You should read about it—the activity and about boats. You must learn about being upon the sea; what it is about. After that, you MIGHT be able to confirm an interest and commitment to boating and boat ownership that—in the end—may enable you to ask the kinds of questions that will bring you additional working knowledge, etc.

Ask yourself (as you may have done by now), why should you be able “to skip the early steps” that the others have taken to fully enjoy the recreation and get their money’s worth out of it? It would be like saying, “I want to play the new (to me) grand piano I just bought, but I want to ‘skip the early steps’ (like learning how to read music, or even less—basic fingering, etc.). By the way, is this thing in tune?”

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Excellent post, as usual.

I'll only add in here - try horses... Might top sailing although might not top flying...

dj
I would so agree with that. We are boaters, my daughter in 6th grade got into horses. So we had the joy of experiencing both. I think the the horse easily tops sailing in cost.

but then you don’t do either of these because they make financial sense. You do them because they make you (or your daughter) happy

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would so agree with that. We are boaters, my daughter in 6th grade got into horses. So we had the joy of experiencing both. I think the the horse easily tops sailing in cost.

but then you don’t do either of these because they make financial sense. You do them because they make you (or your daughter) happy
I have three daughters (adults now) and growing up, we had a 6 acre field in the back with a stream. I lived in constant fear that they would get the horse bug. Dodged that one.:cool:

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Don't do it.
Join a cult and then get yourself a good crack habit going.

I used to be an ambitious guy with lots of time to get all sorts of things done. Wore nice clothes even shaved on a regular basis.

Now I hang around the dock wearing $5 t-shirts, raggedy shorts and things that vaguely resemble shoes. Days are spent sailing, working on or just talking about any old boat.

It will take over your life.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Again, thank you for all the great advice.

I was able to get on a boat yesterday (Catalina 40) and learn a little. Unfortunately, I have to return to Colorado for a few months but I'll be back on the MS Coast in the Spring for more exploration and lessons.
$5k - $10k might not put you in a Catalina 40 that's ready to go, but I'm glad you got to go sailing.

Just wanted to throw one more idea out. This is my viewpoint. I suggest that when you've found your boat and have learned to sail on good days, start venturing out on days that are a bit rowdy; no thunder or lightning, but blowing with a good chop. In my opinion, the way you learn to handle your boat in bad weather is by sailing your boat in challenging conditions.

Your concern about being caught by a storm is a valid one. The area you'll be sailing can experience some pretty interesting storms. I've seen novice sailors get overpowered by squalls in Mobile Bay. The Dauphin Island race of 2015 showed that even experienced sailors/crews can have trouble in a big blow in our neighborhood. Learn the techniques required to handle your boat in a blow intentionally, using opportunities that you pick and are ready for.

One last point on boat choices. You will be making compromises in quality, condition, and performance based on your budget. As @DrJudyB points out, a performance trimaran is an exhilarating sailing experience. My cousins have one and it is amazing. There will always be a faster, better performing, better looking boat than the one you pick - no matter what you pick. Make your selection and enjoy sailing your boat. Enjoy sailing other boats, too!