Bird Repellent- WhirlyBirdRepeller - Recommendations anyone?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
On a recent visit to WM in Charleston, SC, I saw this display for a bird repellent product.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this device? It has a 45 day money back guarantee, but it could take seagulls and others more than 45 days to get used to this device and then ignore it.

Last season the seagulls in Rhode Island were unmerciful. Hateful little buggers. Leaving boat-loads of crab parts and their excrement all over. Every visit entails a couple hours to go from mooring to dock and scrub everything down. I must do something before next summer.

What say you?

20191108_153827.jpg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The only anti-bird product I know that absolutely works are the sound producing devices they use around airports. A boat owner had one on his boat at the Charleston City Marina and when it was on, it worked! They aren't cheap but I guess, like most things, you get what you pay for.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm a skeptic too Rich. It's just a matter of time before they learn that it is not a threat.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
No idea if you have sufficient water pressure where you have the problem but I have had success with these chasing of geese off our lawn. I have tried all kinds of gizmos and this is the only one that had any lasting success.
78DC3614-9645-4398-B2EE-8FE2B52ABBCB.jpeg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I want to see the You tube video of the device in action! Like, maybe a 60 day time lapse in a marina environment. Oh yeah, and certification by UL and CSA (for our Canadian cousins) as to its effectiveness, followed by at least 10 testimonials by satisfied users.
An Amazon customer rating of 6 stars for the company would be nice as well!

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Sounds like you could be a volunteer tester for the rest of the forum. How much is this item? Any ideas on mounting? Is it solar or wind powered?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Sounds like you could be a volunteer tester for the rest of the forum. How much is this item? Any ideas on mounting? Is it solar or wind powered?
$50 for the under 30mph wind model, $65-70 for over 30mph. Plus maybe $30 for a mount if you can't readily adapt it to your boat. It is wind powered.

The cost isn't high, but I have a whole shelf full of boating items that don't perform as claimed. So I'd like to get info from someone who has actually bought and used one - independent of the manufacturer's testimonials.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
The only anti-bird product I know that absolutely works are the sound producing devices they use around airports. A boat owner had one on his boat at the Charleston City Marina and when it was on, it worked! They aren't cheap but I guess, like most things, you get what you pay for.
+1, they actually work.
have also had good success with the Gull Cat...

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
On a recent visit to WM in Charleston, SC, I saw this display for a bird repellent product.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this device? It has a 45 day money back guarantee, but it could take seagulls and others more than 45 days to get used to this device and then ignore it.

Last season the seagulls in Rhode Island were unmerciful. Hateful little buggers. Leaving boat-loads of crab parts and their excrement all over. Every visit entails a couple hours to go from mooring to dock and scrub everything down. I must do something before next summer.

What say you?

View attachment 172291
Hi Rich:
Where I am in Pt Judith some guys string flags bow to stern with light lines and it seems to work in repelling birds which like to land on the deck, such as sea gulls and cormorants, which are a worse threat down here. Also power boat owners use those wind driven rotating mechanisms on the deck, which also seem to be effective. Cormorants and Osprey also like to land on our spreaders but a product called Bird B Gone solves that problem 100% effective for the spreaders. I have formed the opinion that repelling these pests is akin to locking my dinghy to the float. I believe that making my dinghy harder to steal, if not 100%, will cause would-be thieves to look elsewhere for an easier mark. Seems to be the same with the nuisance birds.
Good luck
Rick

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I have had excellent results with reflective mylar flash tape. Amazon.com : Bird Repellent Scare Tape, Bird Scare Ribbon, Reflective Flash Bird Deterrent Tape, Scare Away Birds, Eliminate Birds Destroying Crops 298 Feet Double Sided Reflective Tape. : Garden & Outdoor I cut it into strips (about 12" long) and tape the strips about 18" apart to a low-stretch line which I raise on the spinnaker halyard (bottom end tied to a bow cleat). The boat is on a mooring so the strips stream back close to the spreaders and mast - the birds hate the crackling noise and flashes. I think it overloads their defense reflexes and they go elsewhere.

Feb 11, 2017
The reflective "terror" tape has also worked for me, But not as the total solution. In addition I also use a 3 or 4 of those long wired spidery things that are held in place with a sandbag mount - I also attach some of that reflective tape to the wires. This works well and is quick & easy to setup orctake down. Those sandbag mounts never seem to blow over when placed on Dodgers or bimini

Feb 11, 2017
Here is a link to the bid b gone spider. You also should get the sandbag mount

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Fake rattlesnake on the foredeck. Not a single spot of bird turd on my boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SHOW IT TO @Kermit. He has quite a history with "The Birds". If he likes it (keeping the birds form his pontoon party boat), then maybe it is worth something more than more stuff on the boat.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm pretty sure y'all've seen my pictures before. (Do you see how I made a double contraction?) I put some line on the spreaders as a deterrent to keep ospreys, commorants and bald eagles off of them. I can't say for certain that they are what kept them off. I just know I didn't have the problem again. It could have been they just didn't like my boat anymore. I doubt the lines would keep seagulls off since they're much smaller birds. At one time I ran a similar line from the end of the boom to the mast to keep birds off the sailcover. I finally quit doing that.

I'm a big fan of deterrents as opposed to doing anything that will harm the birds. The water sprinkler looks like a good idea but they might end up taking a bath with it. I've seen that in my yard with songbirds. Old CDs should work well. Just use CDs you'll never want to use again.
crap.jpg spreader.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good to see the pictures again Kermie... Hope you're doing well.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Old CDs should work well. Just use CDs you'll never want to use again.
I did that in my Vegetable Garden to scare off Bluejays that were eating the crops. It worked but...
One CD that was too low was grabbed by my pole bean runners and up went the beans.:banghead:

Jim..