H26, 1994, missing 3 bolts for stairway- how do I reach the nuts?

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
The 3 bolts attaching the upper portion of the stairwell are missing. not sure how to access to insert bolts and nuts.
I thought about self threading over sized screws but does not seem prudent.
Help
Bill

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Believe your bolting into an embedded aluminum plate. Do you have the original bolts?

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Thank you both for your response. My wife found a couple of bolts that might be the ones. I will try them Sat when we go to the boat. If they are not correct any idea where I might find the correct bolt specs?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Pretty sure they will be standard imperial thread bolts - you could purchase a small selection from the hardware store, take them to the boat and see if they fit - think they where coarse thread but don’t quote me on that! If you where to get 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 bolts in coarse and fine thread then just try them in the openings it should identify your diameter pretty quick. (I’m thinking they where about 1/2” but not entirely sure.)

Once you’ve identified the diameter you can stick a piece of dowel, branch, skewer etc into the opening to get an idea of length you will need. Subtract a bit from the dimension you get from this so you don’t bottom out the bolt.

Once you have the size you will want a fender washer and possibly a lock washer to go on the bolts. Original parts are all stainless. (Add these thicknesses back to the above measurement. )