My mast raising solutions

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
[QUOTE="Revv up, post: 1559536, member:

3) I took advice from someone who told me to attach my gin pole as low as possible but I never understood his theory, it would be just as easy to move it up to the upper baby stay mount which would make attaching the forestay much easier.

[/QUOTE]
With your gin pole bracket this should be easy to demonstrate. Lower the mast to horizontal and try both positions. You will find it is easier if the gin pole is closer to the pivot point of the mast. This is because as you pull on the mast raising line (appears to be mainsheet tackle) the attachment point of said line at gin pole has to rise upward against a force that is pulling down. Moving the same length gin pole up the mast changes the pull angle of the mainsheet tackle more horizontal which applies more force to the pivot pin at mast base also.

Reference the stabilizing stays (a baby stay is attached to a mast on larger boats fore and aft as a structural component) anything beyond a 45 degree angle to mast is a diminishing return and more than 60 degrees is allowing to much mast movement in this operation. Do use the stabilizing stays on the gin pole as mentioned. Getting the stay attachment point on the deck in alignment with the mast pivot is where the real fun begins. If your pivot pin is not on the aft side of the mast (like a center pivot) and the aft side of mast base does not have a radius the mast will rise up and over tighten your stabilizing stays. They will be to tight at one point and to loose at another. Good luck.:)

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I took a different approach and built a extendable crane on the front of my trailer. The boat is a San Juan 7.7m. The trailer needed a new tongue so I replaced it with a longer one that gave me room for the crane. When extended it's probably 8ft above the deck.

I don't have any pictures of it in use.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
I took a different approach and built a extendable crane on the front of my trailer. The boat is a San Juan 7.7m. The trailer needed a new tongue so I replaced it with a longer one that gave me room for the crane. When extended it's probably 8ft above the deck.

I don't have any pictures of it in use.
That’s slick but I want something I can stow away in the boat incase I need to get off a busy boat ramp quick and set on the water or take it down to get under a bridge.

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
[QUOTE="Revv up, post: 1559536, member:

3) I took advice from someone who told me to attach my gin pole as low as possible but I never understood his theory, it would be just as easy to move it up to the upper baby stay mount which would make attaching the forestay much easier.
Reference the stabilizing stays (a baby stay is attached to a mast on larger boats fore and aft as a structural component) anything beyond a 45 degree angle to mast is a diminishing return and more than 60 degrees is allowing to much mast movement in this operation. Do use the stabilizing stays on the gin pole as mentioned. Getting the stay attachment point on the deck in alignment with the mast pivot is where the real fun begins. If your pivot pin is not on the aft side of the mast (like a center pivot) and the aft side of mast base does not have a radius the mast will rise up and over tighten your stabilizing stays. They will be to tight at one point and to loose at another. Good luck.:)
[/QUOTE]

Yes finding the exact point for the lower STABILIZING STAYS was very time consuming but I have found it’s sweet spot. It also look like I will be able to attach the gin pole stabilizing stays to that same point.