Here is the stern quarter of the little Sea Scamp 500 from 1957.  Note the bottom planking (1/2" plywood) extending past the transom.  Some people wanted to plane this off, to make it 'easier' to 'glass the bottom.  I fought against this and, surprisingly, won, because I understood what it's for.  If the transom were down in the water, the boat would have to pull all that water behind it to get up and stay on plane.  But like this, once it gets going, it has to pull only 1/2" of water along-- much less suction and drag, making it faster.  Consider the very excellent Dick Bertram 31' Moppies of 1960, how fuel-hungry they were, dragging a deep-V transom with over 30 degrees of deadrise.  Now look at the flat deadrise of this little skimboard of a boat, which gets up on plane with only 30-35 HP.  The down-angled chine stick helps as well.

I filled all these wood-to-wood joints with WEST epoxy, using my finger as the applicator/radius gauge.  It's sealed, strong and smooth now (note seam between transom and protruding bottom planking).  It's up to Bruce, the owner, to make sure he does the same thing inside as well.

We ended up 'glassing only the bottom, using epoxy, trimming off the edges of the 'glass at the very bottom edge of the chine stick.  The bronze bottom paint is de rigueur; non?

The hole in the hull is for the bilge pump's outlet.

25 Jul 2014
DianaOfBurlington

Here is the stern quarter of the little Sea Scamp 500 from 1957. Note the bottom planking (1/2" plywood) extending past the transom. Some people wanted to plane this off, to make it 'easier' to 'glass the bottom. I fought against this and, surprisingly, won, because I understood what it's for. If the transom were down in the water, the boat would have to pull all that water behind it to get up and stay on plane. But like this, once it gets going, it has to pull only 1/2" of water along-- much less suction and drag, making it faster. Consider the very excellent Dick Bertram 31' Moppies of 1960, how fuel-hungry they were, dragging a deep-V transom with over 30 degrees of deadrise. Now look at the flat deadrise of this little skimboard of a boat, which gets up on plane with only 30-35 HP. The down-angled chine stick helps as well. I filled all these wood-to-wood joints with WEST epoxy, using my finger as the applicator/radius gauge. It's sealed, strong and smooth now (note seam between transom and protruding bottom planking). It's up to Bruce, the owner, to make sure he does the same thing inside as well. We ended up 'glassing only the bottom, using epoxy, trimming off the edges of the 'glass at the very bottom edge of the chine stick. The bronze bottom paint is de rigueur; non? The hole in the hull is for the bilge pump's outlet. 25 Jul 2014

There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
White Angel Yacht Specialties
Added by
DianaOfBurlington
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata