Zodiac Self Bailing Valve and Davits

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
I just installed a set of davits for my Zodiac. The davit manufacturer makes it clear that the dinghy drain valve should be open to prevent rain water from collecting in the dinghy and eventually causing damage to the davits from the extra weight of the rainwater.
My Zodiac like many others is equipped with a self bailing drain valve that relies on the dinghy moving forward to suck water out. I suspect that it will not drain if the dinghy is just sitting on the davits but I am not sure. How have others dealt with this especially if there going to be away from the boat for awhile?
Thanks
Marc

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have an Achilles but I think the valve is nearly identical. I have stuck a clothespin in the valve to hold it open, but now I just leave it. But be sure to remove the solid plug so the valve is just the one-way flapper. And I tie my dinghy so that the valve is in the lowest corner - this is very important.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
A few years back I removed the self bailing part of the drain and than remove plug
from the drain when ever on the Davits and tilt the drain down ward to help any rain water
to drain properly.
When it rains here in Fl. It comes down pretty hard and fast.
Nick

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We keep our Zodiac on the davits at all times when not in use. The self draining plugs work just fine by gravity. They are just a thin rubber diaphragm/one way valve. No forward movement necessary out of the water.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I leave my plug out and rely on the self-draining valve to self-bail the dinghy whenever I leave my dinghy for more than a day or two, even tied to a dock in the water... after every weekend... all summer... every year. The bad news is that there's usually at least SOME seepage of water into the dinghy that I have to bail upon returning even in dry weather. Those valves are good, but not "perfect" at sealing water out, while submerged. The good news is that if the water level inside the dinghy gets higher than the water level outside the dinghy (that's a lot of rain), it will self drain down until the water outside and inside are roughly at equal levels, even without the Venturi Effect. Venturi is of course needed to completely drain the water while the dinghy is afloat. If the pressure inside that flap is higher than what's outside (in this case deeper water) the water will flow out, even under water, and certainly on davits, where the water level outside will surely always be lower.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Perhaps I’m using my drain incorrectly, but my Zodiac has a lever that I’ve used as an open/close. When on davits I open it and when I put it in the water I close it. I do know it can be adjusted and that it’s basically a diaphragm but am I missing how this works?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Perhaps I’m using my drain incorrectly, but my Zodiac has a lever that I’ve used as an open/close. When on davits I open it and when I put it in the water I close it. I do know it can be adjusted and that it’s basically a diaphragm but am I missing how this works?
I think you should post a pic or two. Sounds nothing at all like mine, which are just holes in the stern with a one way rubber valve. There is a black runner plug you insert from the outside if you don't want to use them, or if the "valve" fails. However, though ours have lasted years, it costs just a few bucks and a few minutes to replace should it be necessary. If they are leaking, anything as small as some sea grass, bit of a leaf or a fish scale can make it happen, so it's no biggie to clean them out.https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?members/todds.139234/

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I think you should post a pic or two. Sounds nothing at all like mine, which are just holes in the stern with a one way rubber valve. There is a black runner plug you insert from the outside if you don't want to use them, or if the "valve" fails. However, though ours have lasted years, it costs just a few bucks and a few minutes to replace one should it be necessary. If they are leaking, anything as small as some sea grass, bit of a leaf or a fish scale can make it happen, so it's no biggie to clean them out.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I've never seen anything like that on our 2 Zodiacs, Mark I Classics, however I suspect that inside the tube, after the valve, there is still a rubber one way flapper valve, or water would flow back into the dink when at rest, which makes no sense at all.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
My self bailing valve is like the picture previously posted. I filled the dinghy with water while on the Davits and it drained just fine with the lever in the open position.
Thanks for all the replies.
Marc