Zodiac self bailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jared

Has anyone ever had to replace the self bailer rubber flapper? We have a West Marine Zodiac brand dinghy and the rubber flapper came out of the self bailer so now we have a hole to just let water in. Does anyone know where you can find a replacement part? I have found at Defender the plug (1-3/8" dia) for another brand of dinghy, but don't know where to find the little rubber flapper valve. If not, worst case is just to plug the thing and bail it ourselves... Anyone fix this before?

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Not sure what you're talking about, but

I have WM/Zodiac and ordered spare parts (plug, etc.) through WM special order desk or something like that. Have you called WM?

J

Jared

Didn't think about that

Yeah, I should have asked WM. Its like asking for directions - I never even think to ask at the store... Thanks.

Mar 22, 2007
Beneteau - Biloxi, MS
Plug it

I have a west zodiac and after getting tired of trash like weeds, leaves, or pine straw getting caught in the diaphram and letting water back in I just plugged it. The self bailer is great when you are on a plane running, but lets face it its a dink, you move slowly thru anchorages, and pull up near shore where debris falls in. If you don't remove the debris from the bailer and leave the dink in the water over night you may awake to find it full of water. Yes, if you plug it you may have to hand bail dew or over spray out but thats better than hand bailing gallons out in the morning if something blocked the diaphram open. I know you are going to say, but what about when you stow it on deck, well I store mine upside down forward of my mast and since I lift it out with a sprare hallyard all the water dumps out on the way up. By the way, the cap to a 20oz Gator-ade bottle with a little 5200 on it works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.