zippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill c

Feb 9, 2008
Pearson 303 punta gorda
Any suggestions for lubricating zippers, e.g. in biminis, sailcovers, etc, in the tropics?

May 24, 2004
Sabre 34 MkI Solomons, MD
Starbrite also makes a zipper/snap lube. Comes in a squeeze-out tube.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bees wax.

I would suggest that any zippers are throughly washed with fresh water to remove any dirt and salt first. Then you can use any of the mentioned products.

Hopefully we are NOT talking about any metal zippers.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Just.

Just a word of caution around using McLube near dodger windows. Be very, very careful using McLube (it works great on zippers) near the glass windows of a dodger or enclosure. The solvents in the mist can destroy the glass. If you do use it place some towels so that cover the glass and try to do it on a no wind day.

Another option is to spray it into a rag then wipe the rag over the zipper. This avoids getting any of the solvents from McLube, that evaporate off, from getting on the glass.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Vasoline ... may not be as high tech as the other products, but ask most long time canvas shop guys and they'll tell you that it does just as good a job. Some say that it picks up dirt more so than the commercial products, but over the years, I haven't noticed that being a problem. Doesn't hurt isenglass and (obviously) it's inexpensive.

Waxes are a little hard to actually get INTO the zipper slider and the teeth. IMHO they work better used on stitching to help make the thread last longer.

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth VA
RE: Zipper lube

McLube SailKote is great stuff for zippers, snaps, etc. It was suggested to me and I was amazed when I tried it. Works great with out a residue attracting dirt, etc.

larryw

Jun 9, 2004
Beneteau OC400 Long Beach, CA
Those white plastic zippers don't need any extra lube, they are self-lubricating; just zip them up and down a few times every month or so to bring the plactisizers to the surface.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Actually, most of the Chapstick brand is wax-based, not petroleum jelly based... so, no it isn't. :)
That's just vaseline.
Neither is all that good as a lubricant for zippers, since both will tend to attract dirt and end up gumming up the zipper worse that it would be without lubricant. SailKote is a dry film lubricant that isn't going to generally attract dust/dirt and get gummy.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 36 MK II Havre de Grace, MD
Soap also works decently. Just rub gently along the zipper line with a dry bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.