Zippers, zippers, zippers

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Try "Salt Away" from West Marine or other retailers to get the zipper clean. Then use chap stick.
I would agree with this idea sans the chap stick. Get Salt Away and put it in a spritz bottle. Spritz it maybe once a month or when you think the zipper is starting to get tough to open/close.

topman

Aug 10, 2012
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C. Canada
Seized zippers

There are 2 products I recommend . Isso snap and zipper lube ,and star rite snap and zipper lube. They are both white Teflon based and non staining. Simply apply to the teethe and run the zipper car up and down the teeth a few times . If they are already seized then the other products to free them and you may have to replace the zipper car , which is a simple task.

Cheers Laine
Peninsula Boat tops

Sep 8, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Rock Hall, MD
As APEX indicates products like WD 40 are for moisture displacement (WD=Water Displacement), and the others are good lubricants, not corrosion inhibitors. I've had good success with LPS No. 3, a true corrosion inhibitor. I use it on my house in the Bahamas which is a few hundred feet from the ocean on the windward side of the island. It sticks like snot and stays put for some time.

An example of WD 40 use is if you drop your shore power cable in the water. Rinse with fresh water then douse it with WD 40. I would still let it sit over night. Everything else? Keep the stuff in your toolbox. It's constantly used for the wrong things.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Salt Away is basically Tide liquid detergent, don't waste your money on it. Chief

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs
The real solutions...

[FONT=&quot]Try either of these:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]BOSS 02812CL05 820 Pool and Spa Clear Silicone Lubricant, 3-Ounce Tube about $10 -15 (there are other mfg's of similar products available) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]OR[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dow Corning Molykote 557 Silicone Dry Film Lubricant Clear Aerosol Can about $20 - 25[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Either one will work way better than any of the other solutions mentioned, especially better than white lithium grease which will stain your sails and get all over the place. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Candle wax is only good if the candles are made from paraffin or better yet bee’s wax, and even then is only good in the summer months, as it will get hard and flakey and make the zippers just as hard to open as when they are salted up or rusted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Washing the boat down with a decent bio-degradable soap and fresh water is the best protection, because salt is the real culprit here and even using these products and installing nylon zippers will likely fail prematurely. If a fresh water source is not readily available then you can bring several 5 gallon buckets filled with clean water, and assuming you have electricity available; you can use an inexpensive electric submersible sump pump ($50 – 75). If no electricity is available there are some cheap 12v models available in the $40 – 60 range. This amount of water along with a pump with a rating of 200 – 400 GPH will be adequate for this job, as it only takes me 30 minutes to do a proper wash down of my 30’ boat, as the water is only on for a few minutes to wet the boat down, then about 15 minutes to rinse it off after soaping it up and scrubbing it. This will save the canvas, your lines (dock, anchor & sheets) along with the deck, rails and stanchions, etc…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If all else fails you can go find a local marina that will let you tie-up and do a wash-down for only a few bucks… There are no excuses for not properly maintaining you boat.[/FONT]

Mar 14, 2010
Irwin I-31 Sherwood MD
It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the corrosion on our Bimini zippers gets the better of us. Has anyone found a product that will free corroded zippers and something that will work to keep them free of corrosion? We've tried WD 40, Corrosion Block, PB Blaster and silicon grease, all to no avail.
Thanks
After cleaning spray on McLube. I love this product as it is a Teflon based dry lube and as a result does not attract dirt, is easy to use and not messy. I give mine 2 to 3 coats on each outside and inside. This is the same lube that I use on all blocks, sail tracks, etc. on my Irwin 31. A bit expensive but it works. Don't waste your hard earned $ on a "wanna be". West Marine carries it.

Best wishes, Merry Christmas and may 2014 be the best sailing year yet for you!

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 410 Boston Shipyard
Don't let zippers sit unused

The absolute cheapest solution is unzip and zip every once in a while. The movement, along with a simple lubricant, will keep the salt from gluing the teeth together.

Others have suggested chapstick, Vaseline, candle wax, and commercial zipper lubricants. They will all work but none will help when the zipper has not been opened for years. WS-40 and similar is good for rust, but not zippers and canvas. My father was a dry cleaner and he used bees wax, but that was for clothes, not canvas.

I use the zipper lube sold by Sailrite. One tube appears to be close to a lifetime supply. I am just a coastal sailor and remove and wash my canvas every year after the six or seven month summer season. Never a problem.

To remove existing salt, I would go with warm water with detergent. Do your best to soak it and then use a toothbrush. Give the slide the most attention since once it starts moving, it will help pull the teeth apart. Try using a small syringe available from electronic houses to get the cleaning solution inside the slide - both sides.

if nothing else works, carefully cut the threads holding the zipper and remove the zipper from the canvas. A special purpose tool (seam ripper) is available in any sewing or crafts store and should cost less than $5. A single edge razor blade, used carefully, also works. Soak the zipper in warm, soapy water for a few hours. You will have to replace the zipper anyway, so there is no harm. Almost any sewing machine can be used to reattach the zipper, although one of the Sailrite machines is a lot easier to use.

Smaller zippers are more prone to salt corrosion. If you find you must replace the zippers use a #8 or higher, even on cushions.

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
In the event of a broken zipper or frozen zipper try this:
http://www.fixnzip.com
I've used them (stainless slides) and have found they work great as a quick fix and even a permanent repair. They have a mechanical screw to open the slider - put onto the zipper teeth - snug up and it's done. I always carry a few as spares.

Jun 29, 2013
Catalina 22 Portland Australia
sticky zippers

Why not replace the whole shebang with velcro. Never a problem again!:dance:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I want to thank you all for your input. I purchased some Vaseline today, mainly because it's the only product mentioned that is available here in Bequia, though I will keep an eye out for some others, if I can find them down here. A very special thank you to Chenega; I had no idea that I could replace the slide and it will save me buying a new dive skin, and a few broken zippers on other gear.
I have tried McLube and silicone grease, to no avail, but our travels do put a lot of salt aboard, as it seems we are always beating in 20 to 30 knots. We will try to keep them a bit cleaner w/ fresh water, but as an old timer, even with a water maker, it's very hard to use fresh water liberally aboard a cruising boat (I crossed the Atlantic one trip with 2 adults and a child, with 60 gallons of fresh water; old habits die hard).
So thanks again.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Vinegar

I read some place to put vinegar on the zipper to remove the corrison.
Nick

Nov 25, 2013
Oday Daysailer I Lakeville, NY
After scanning through all of the responses, I'll put a vote in for a wax based product. I use paraffin on my cycle leather zippers, my ski bag, and tent zippers- from lubing the first use to restoring a reasonable 'slide' across the teeth. Chapstick, ski wax, a candle in a pinch... If the zipper is seized (like the salted ski bag corroding all summer), I use a penetrating oil to break it free and then back to the wax.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
After scanning through all of the responses, I'll put a vote in for a wax based product. I use paraffin on my cycle leather zippers, my ski bag, and tent zippers- from lubing the first use to restoring a reasonable 'slide' across the teeth. Chapstick, ski wax, a candle in a pinch... If the zipper is seized (like the salted ski bag corroding all summer), I use a penetrating oil to break it free and then back to the wax.
I'm a bit concerned that the heat here in the tropics, especially in the summer, might melt the wax and lessen it's effectiveness. I should be able to get some around here, as they sell local honey, so I'll give it a try when I find some. I used to use lanolin on my bronze turn buckles; perhaps that might also work.
For now, we've packed the functioning ones with Vaseline; we'll see?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i use dry teflon on mine with excellent good fortune. in tropics..only 85 f here and 95 max in summer. dont leave anything out in sun. i am lat 19.1. lat 18 was even nicer.